Wolf or Coyote urine. Does it really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah? So you want to come to our place and sit out in 90 plus temps and wait for the fox to come along all day, or not?? Personally, I can't do that. I don't want to shoot a fox. But yeah, they're becoming a problem here. Seriously. So, does coyote urine work, or not???? Who knows from actual experience?

GOOD GRIEF!!! Just shoot the darn thing already and be done with it. I got this guy this morning at first light.

If anyone is interested, I talked to a professional State licensed trapper here and learned the following:

Foxes are virtually impossible to trap in a live trap. Leghold or snare trap works, but that's an automatic disqualifier for me I will not do that.
Right now, in Ohio, it is illegal to trap foxes, they are not in season. He said HE would have to get permission from the game warden, although we wouldn't necessarily have to. If we trap the mother and the kits go free, they will die without her. So trapping has dropped way low on my list of resolutions to the problem. He suggested coyote urine, said it should work well, (the pure stuff, not synthetic)...and that it will not attract coyotes. Better still, he suggested bobcat urine, as something that should repel anything. So, we ordered a gallon of it on line. I will let you know if it works if you are interested. If it doesn't, the next step for us will be to hire someone to sit out there all day with the hopes of shooting the whole fox family. I have had it.
sad.png
I very much hope the bobcat urine works, foxes are very cool animals, very important to the environment, and I will say what I have always said, that the predator doesn't know he's offending people. All he sees is a meal. Remember that, folks, please.

OH, and by the way, he says it is BS that "pee is pee" and there's no difference. There is a difference, and the animals know.

chicknmania wrote: If anyone is interested, I talked to a professional State licensed trapper here and learned the following:

Foxes are virtually impossible to trap in a live trap. Leghold or snare trap works, but that's an automatic disqualifier for me I will not do that.
Right now, in Ohio, it is illegal to trap foxes, they are not in season. He said HE would have to get permission from the game warden, although we wouldn't necessarily have to. If we trap the mother and the kits go free, they will die without her. So trapping has dropped way low on my list of resolutions to the problem. He suggested coyote urine, said it should work well, (the pure stuff, not synthetic)...and that it will not attract coyotes. Better still, he suggested bobcat urine, as something that should repel anything. So, we ordered a gallon of it on line. I will let you know if it works if you are interested. If it doesn't, the next step for us will be to hire someone to sit out there all day with the hopes of shooting the whole fox family. I have had it. I very much hope the bobcat urine works, foxes are very cool animals, very important to the environment, and I will say what I have always said, that the predator doesn't know he's offending people. All he sees is a meal. Remember that, folks, please.

OH, and by the way, he says it is BS that "pee is pee" and there's no difference. There is a difference, and the animals know.

Yes, urine/pheromones are most useful when trapping within the same species, during certain times of the year under certain conditions. Insofar as counting on ANY olfactory signal to dissuade a hungry pred? Maybe, initially, if the wind is right and the temp/humidity level is adequate. However, I'm reminded of the quote of a Native American describing trading posts "cigar smoke, fat men there". The odor might cause immediate alarm but constant association with the smell of poultry and over time one will own a bottle of expensive Conditioned Stimulant - smells like wolf/coyote but causes pred to drool - chicken!!!.

Passively Active defense, e.g., electric fencing and or active defense (trap/shoot/dogs) are adequate to the task.

Red Fox, in the lower 48, are naturalized invasive `ornamentals' (brought from Europe to hunt down at the leisure of the landed class) kind of like Asian Carp and Amur Honeysuckle..

Last edited:
Are either of you trappers or have either of you tried to use bobcat urine as a deterrent? And what was the result? The original op on this thread, that was their question wasn't it? "Will it work? " was the question. I don't think anyone knows because as far as I can see, no one has tried it. A bunch of opinions from people really means nothing. I'm simply going by what the guy told me. Since he's a professional and he deals in animal trapping, I figure he might know. Yes, I realize it's probably only a temporary fix, but I think I might be able to figure out how to make it realistic, we're not going to drench the place with it. Trapping with a leghold trap or snare is out of the question...didn't I say that? Who has trapped a fox in a box trap and what bait did you use? If we have to we will sit out there and stake them out, but, for now, we have held them off for a day, and the urine has not arrived yet. And staking them out is the only way we're going to be able to shoot them in this situation and I actually don't have time to sit out there all day. I don't care whether they're "invasive species" or not, they are still amazing animals and I prefer not to kill them if we can possibly help it. Obviously, we're not going to let them wipe out our flock if we can help that either. Electric fencing is not practical for our situation, and I'm sure it's not for many. We can always pen the flock up for a period of weeks, and their enclosure is predator proof, but I prefer not to pen them up in their barn in hot weather. I simply was trying to let the original op know, and anyone else who's interested, that urine might be one way to keep the foxes away for a while. Not everyone views predators as things that must be destroyed automatically.

Yes I catch close to 100 coyotes every winter. At the sets I make for them I use fox,coyote and bobcat urine and have caught fox using all 3 different urines. I have even caught fox at sets using bobcat gland lure. I'm not saying it won't work but IMO it won't

chicknmania wrote: Who has trapped a fox in a box trap and what bait did you use? If we have to we will sit out there and stake them out, but, for now, we have held them off for a day, and the urine has not arrived yet. And staking them out is the only way we're going to be able to shoot them in this situation and I actually don't have time to sit out there all day. I don't care whether they're "invasive species" or not, they are still amazing animals and I prefer not to kill them if we can possibly help it. Obviously, we're not going to let them wipe out our flock if we can help that either. Electric fencing is not practical for our situation, and I'm sure it's not for many. We can always pen the flock up for a period of weeks, and their enclosure is predator proof, but I prefer not to pen them up in their barn in hot weather. I simply was trying to let the original op know, and anyone else who's interested, that urine might be one way to keep the foxes away for a while. Not everyone views predators as things that must be destroyed automatically.
Peanut butter mixed with bacon grease and smeared on the bars: However, a much more effective method is to place a live chicken in one trap, with another placed back to back with it. I wouldn't subject a chook to that sort of stress, but that's just me. Depends on one's chops for losses free ranging as what methods one employs. We only free range when we are here and the rifles are handy. The Red Fox here are not so sly as brazen, the live traps are primarily for raccoon. Preemptive suppression of chicken eating vermin allows this member to post of shots of our living flocks, as the overall frequency of predation has been reduced to a minimum. Don't count on using `fresh' human hair, from the barbershop, piled around the bases of Pecan Saplings to scare the deer away, either (they chew them off/pull them from ground anyway) 6ft. welded wire cages and T-posts does the job (learned the hard way).

different methods work for different people. Personally, i think it's a combination and alternation of methods. A lot of work sometimes, but it can pay off.
We have had chickens since 2005 and have some chooks that were chicks in 2005 and we still have em. And several more are 5 & years old. They have always free ranged.
We have rarely had to kill predators to keep our flock. Not saying that we never have, but I think the only thing we've had to trap and kill is coons.
it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom