Wood Duck Hybrids Pictures including Mallard x Wood Duck

Mark HSV-AL

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Huntsville, AL
There seems to be some confusion on whether or not Wood Ducks can hybridize with other ducks. So, I am posting some pictures of Wood Duck hybrids that I have had in my pen. I have lots more than I have listed and I will try and dig them up. Basically one should know that a Wood Duck will breed with just about any other duck that exists.

Chiloe Widgeon x Wood Duck

Blue Winged Teal x Wood Duck

Chestnut Breasted Teal x Wood Duck

Ferruginous White Eye x Wood Duck

Red Crested Pochard x Wood Duck

Silver Teal x Wood Duck

Sharp Winged Teal x Wood Duck

Mallard x Wood Duck

I believe it!! Those are some pretty cool looking ducks! It's barely funny isn't it. What people do and do not believe. I have actually heard people say that wild and domestic rabbits won't breed!
gig.gif

Now that should clear the doubt. It is real interesting to see what genetics get through and are shown on the resulting birds. Much like with fish (Cichlids) I used to breed there is nothing better than the real thing. I beleive wood ducks to be one of the best looking ducks out there. I would not say best but in my top 10.
The crosses are interesting though and I still wonder if they could prove fertile.
I always thought when you had different species in the same genus they would not have a problem interbreeding and producing young, however I keep seeing examples of Critters that are different Genus and they cross to have fertile offspring, to me that is not supposed to happen and the Taxonomy is closer than thought to be.

Wow Mark, that's an impressive gallery of wood duck crosses. Is that all from one year? You must have some exceptionally randy wood duck drakes!
Danny

Not from one year, some came from my pen and others came from local breeders. I had a friend that was into collecting Woodie hybrids and was scouring the countryside for them. Neat looking birds though...

Is there anyway you might sell ducklings of any I'd the mixed breeds? And how much?
Thanks...

This is probably a stupid question but are those crosses a Male wood duck mating with a female of the other breed?

I won't speak for the birds in the pictures, but it is usually the male Wood Duck chasing the miscellaneous species hen.

Back
Top Bottom