Wood Duck Hybrids Pictures including Mallard x Wood Duck

I won't speak for the birds in the pictures, but it is usually the male Wood Duck chasing the miscellaneous species hen.
My female wooducks drake wasn’t paying attention and she breed with a red head pochard drake. I got one boy and he’s amazing. My question is, are the offspring able to procreate or are they fertile?

My female wooducks drake wasn’t paying attention and she breed with a red head pochard drake. I got one boy and he’s amazing. My question is, are the offspring able to procreate or are they fertile?
I have a drake from a wood duck mom and red head pochard drake. He has several females, but has never produced offspring.

interesting that wood ducks and mandarin ducks share the same genus but they can’t hybridize but wood ducks can with just about any other species.

interesting that wood ducks and mandarin ducks share the same genus but they can’t hybridize but wood ducks can with just about any other species.
It is interesting. They probably shouldn’t be in the same genus since mandarins have more chromosomes than any other duck. Not sure what the genetic difference is between the wood duck and other species, which does allow for hybridization, but creates infertile offspring (like the mule). All other species of True Ducks (dabbing duck) can interbreed with fertile offspring.

I haven’t found any claims of a hybrid wood duck procreating. I wonder if they could procreate with another hybrid???

I have a hybrid wood duck/ red pochard drake (Kymani). He is two and has never given us a fertilized egg from any of our 5 hens. We recently bought hatching eggs for our broody hens. But, for the first time, we have a fertiled egg from our White-Call, but we also just introduced a White-Call Drake. Chances are it won’t be Kymani’s, but we will know once it hatches. We just canceled 7 more of her eggs and they were all unfertilized.

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 27
I won't speak for the birds in the pictures, but it is usually the male Wood Duck chasing the miscellaneous species hen.
My hybrids mother was a wood duck and a red head pochard drake got into the pen and that’s how i got Kymani. He has yet to produce a fertilized egg with any of his hens.

Attachments

• IMG_4658.jpeg
    IMG_4658.jpeg
    813.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4657.jpeg
    IMG_4657.jpeg
    941 KB · Views: 27
These are 5 Wood duck Hooded merganser hybrids I hatched this year. I wouldn't do this Un purpose but my drake wood ducks weren't doing their job this year.
Wow those are weird looking!!!
I bet a taxidermist would be happy to get them, haha.

Back
Top Bottom