Woods open air

Is the Woods Open Air Coop a great choice for Zone 4b (Eastern Montana)?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have this style and love it!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I have this style and hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Open Air Poultry Houses for all Climates

Here's a poster using one in Northern Mass

and I believe @Alaskan uses a Woods-Inspired coop in... Alaska.

I have no personal experiences with that climate, and every intent to keep it that way.

Thanks for those!
I have seen Alaskan's coop and advice for cold climates. (So helpful!) I wasn't sure if that would be similar enough to the woods design to compare or not.

Haha You're from FL? I can't say I blame you on that one! ;)

Yep... sadly, my coops aren't actual Woods style coops.

But... my coops, most at any rate, have zero insulation and lots of ventilation.

The difference with a Woods coop, is because of the shape, and the fact that all winter ventilation is on the front only, the ventilation can be huge... but wind doesn't come in more than about a foot. The back perch area has zero breeze.

Also... the Woods coop is pretty much set up to be coop and run all together. So... the back with the perches is "coop", and the front is "run". Make sure you stock the house accordingly (don't pack them in).

So... the Woods design is just the perfect way to make the most of your space and keep the coop at good temperatures both in winter and summer. Because the celestory type windows that you are supposed to open during a hot summer, will keep the coop wonderfully cool.

Now me..... I never have a hot coop... not possible in my climate... and I built with what I had.... I knew about Wood coops when I built my Bantam coop (and i think Wood coops are awesome) .. but building a Woods coop would have required store bought lumber... and my bantam coop was built with almost zero money.

So... my bantam coop works for me.

Yep... sadly, my coops aren't actual Woods style coops.

But... my coops, most at any rate, have zero insulation and lots of ventilation.

The difference with a Woods coop, is because of the shape, and the fact that all winter ventilation is on the front only, the ventilation can be huge... but wind doesn't come in more than about a foot. The back perch area has zero breeze.

Also... the Woods coop is pretty much set up to be coop and run all together. So... the back with the perches is "coop", and the front is "run". Make sure you stock the house accordingly (don't pack them in).

So... the Woods design is just the perfect way to make the most of your space and keep the coop at good temperatures both in winter and summer. Because the celestory type windows that you are supposed to open during a hot summer, will keep the coop wonderfully cool.

Now me..... I never have a hot coop... not possible in my climate... and I built with what I had.... I knew about Wood coops when I built my Bantam coop (and i think Wood coops are awesome) .. but building a Woods coop would have required store bought lumber... and my bantam coop was built with almost zero money.

So... my bantam coop works for me.

Thanks for your input, Its highly valued! I have some salvageable lumber to help cut the costs down on this build, but I am a bit nervous at the $$$ outcome. In this part of Montana we have a ton of local millers so I'm hoping to find one that is cheaper than a big box store. Prices are just insane right now. Cost us $1500 to enclose the front our goat barn and place a sliding barn door. :eek:

How many birds would you say would be comfortable in the 8 X 12 vs the 10 x 16?
Since its run/coop space!

The Woods KD (Knock Down) is intended as a coop alone and uses the standard 4sqft/bird to determine capacity. A 10' x 16' for 40, the 8' x 12' for 24.

I have just finished my 3rd winter with my 10' x 16', I have never had more than 25ish birds.

If one has some inventiveness and basic carpentry skills a Woods can be built using the wood from pallets plus some 8' & 10' 2" x 3"s; in fact would look damn good! Rough lumber from a local Miller is what I did, brilliant.

The Woods coop does what it says it does in Prince Woods book. The only caveat is choose birds that are winter tolerant as well. Long combs and waddles do not work well in - 30C or lower regardless.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for your input, Its highly valued! I have some salvageable lumber to help cut the costs down on this build, but I am a bit nervous at the $$$ outcome. In this part of Montana we have a ton of local millers so I'm hoping to find one that is cheaper than a big box store. Prices are just insane right now. Cost us $1500 to enclose the front our goat barn and place a sliding barn door. :eek:

How many birds would you say would be comfortable in the 8 X 12 vs the 10 x 16?
Since its run/coop space!
If you do not have a roofed and sheltered run for them... then 9 square feet per bird for large fowl.

I have my very low key, very happy to be confined, bantams at 6 Square feet per bird.

The Woods KD (Knock Down) is intended as a coop alone and uses the standard 4sqft/bird to determine capacity. A 10' x 16' for 40, the 8' x 12' for 24.

I have just finished my 3rd winter with my 10' x 16', I have never had more than 25ish birds.

If one has some inventiveness and basic carpentry skills a Woods can be built using the wood from pallets plus some 8' & 10' 2" x 3"s; in fact would look damn good! Rough lumber from a local Miller is what I did, brilliant.

The Woods coop does what it says it does in Prince Woods book. The only caveat is choose birds that are winter tolerant as well. Long combs and waddles do not work well in - 30C or lower regardless.

Happy to answer any questions.

We have some local Millers that I'm hoping can supply the lumber. I would rather shop local as much as possible.
I have chosen birds that are rated "better or best" for cold climates! I figured why even mess with the others. lol

I'm glad to know you recommend this coop after having it for a few years. Your coop is gorgeous!
So, where you have a run located on your coop, I was thinking about mounting nesting boxes for outside access. Do you think this modification will screw anything up?

Back
Top Bottom