Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
thumbsup.gif

Love it, love it, love it! I am going to ask my husband for one for my birthday...Of course, he will just laugh at me!

To those in hot hot climates:

Woods talks about a version in use in Texas (at least in the Plamondon reprint edition of the book; I am under the impression the free-text online version is a different edition and I have not seen it so can't guarantee whether it's in there).

IIRC basically *most* of the walls are all-mesh, except for the very back 'roost' area of the house, but otherwise same general concept, and Woods says it works, which I'd believe, as it does provide a good sized area of shade. You should look it up and read that section mroe carefully if you're interested in the subject tho.

Pat

This is one of the best coops I have seen...wondering if I can build the same type of coop on the inside of my carriage house for "wintering" my chickens as I don't think they will be out in the run in 1-2 feet of snow. I The carriage house is basically a wooden 2-car garage.

I read the book last week or so and yes, the book covers the wire coops. We are basically building a coop with a solid back and half solid sides then the rest will just be frame and hardware cloth. This way there is no "box" to turn into an oven, breezes will flow throw but there is a space in the back to get out of the weather both for rain, wind, heat, etc...and we are going to build drop down awnings that will be up when hot and drop down when cold to help keep in the heat when needed in the winter.

perchie.girl :

Does anyone use this type of coop for the desert? We get temps of 110 - 115 on peak days but usually around 90-95. It looks to me those upper windows would be an excellent way to do some heat exchange.

stack ventilation, should do a great job de-stratifying the air​

Back
Top Bottom