worming chickens

vestal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I noticed one poop had round worms in it, they appeared dead as they were not moving.
so I went and brought some dewormer named worm enda, I followed the instructions but my chooks would not drink it, so after 6 hrs I took it away and gave them fresh water and they lapped it up.
how can I get them to drink it as if they have worms id like to get rid of them.
my chooks appear very healthy and are laying eggs, it was just one poop that I found the worms in the other day and have not seen anymore since.
Thanks in advance for your replies

Worm enda is levamisole, a good wormer. I can assure you that if one of your birds has worms, so do the others. Put the treated water out for them to drink prior to letting them out of the coop in the morning. They will be thirsty and hungry after sleeping all night and will want to eat and drink first thing. Reworm them again in 10 days in the same manner.

hi thanks for your reply
I took there water away 2 hrs before bed and put wormer solution in water the next morning.
They went to drink and as soon as they noticed it they would not drink it at all.
I left it there for 6 hrs and they would not touched it, as soon as I gave them fresh water they drink it
can I mix it in with there food at all

Consider purchasing valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer to worm your birds. Give it orally undiluted to each chicken, use a syringe without a needle to administer it orally. Dosage for either wormer is 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose again in 10 days. Giving your birds a wormer orally ensures they get properly wormed, no guesswork about whether or not they drank it, or drank enough to it to be effective.

Last edited:
I am planning to worm my chickens also as I have never done it before, my oldest chickens are 1yr 8ms and my youngest are 12weeks old. At what age is the youngest I should worm or is it safe to worm everyone? Also should I wait until their molt is over?

I am planning to worm my chickens also as I have never done it before, my oldest chickens are 1yr 8ms and my youngest are 12weeks old. At what age is the youngest I should worm or is it safe to worm everyone? Also should I wait until their molt is over?
Wait until after molt to worm all your birds. You dont want to add more stress to them by worming while in molt unless you know they have worms. Directions for worming is in post #4.

Wait until after molt to worm all your birds. You dont want to add more stress to them by worming while in molt unless you know they have worms. Directions for worming is in post #4.

Thank You. I haven't seen evidence of worms I just feel I should since egg laying has pretty much stopped over the last couple months (probably due to weather change and molting). I see people say you are the go to person for this stuff. Do you worm regularly or only as needed? I have read some people never do with no noticed ill affects.

hmmmm, if a chicken gets worms can the eggs be used for hatching or would that ruin a whole breeding season?

I'm going to be breeding mine and am curious with all this information if the eggs can be hatched or not if I find worms. If I do and I worm them can the eggs be used at all or will the chicks then have worms? Would a person have to wait to breed/collect eggs to incubate until after both wormings? What would be that timetable? :/

I'll have to watch for this.

hmmmm, if a chicken gets worms can the eggs be used for hatching or would that ruin a whole breeding season?

I'm going to be breeding mine and am curious with all this information if the eggs can be hatched or not if I find worms. If I do and I worm them can the eggs be used at all or will the chicks then have worms? Would a person have to wait to breed/collect eggs to incubate until after both wormings? What would be that timetable?
hmm.png

I'll have to watch for this.
Most wormers are safe when hatching eggs, shouldnt be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom