Worming...??

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
Oh no, I thought you could make polls on here. Oh well I will ask anyways.

How many of you worm regularly?

How many of you just worm if you see worms or have a reason to believe you are infected?

Feel free to explain! And if you use anything like pumpkins or cayenne pepper as well, do share.

Last edited:
I figured after 20 months of eating dirt, they should have something...or my mother was WRONG!

so, I never ate the dirt... are you suggesting that perhaps it's really okay? I would probably be healthier if I had.

I've never wormed until the last few months and I've had chickens for maybe 15 years. One vet took a test to determine one hen had no parasites. It reinforced my opinion. Then I thought about it, one time I did have a hen die years ago and there were some small skinny worms coming out the rear. Not a lot but just enough to be disturbing. Anyway, I figure they ALL have worms, they have to and regardless of what the vet said, I went ahead and started worming. Who knows, maybe some of the hen deaths I've had over the years have been due to malnutrition and other problems caused by the things? Anyway, they seem healthy and happy now and I'm sure it's helping their external parasite situation as well. Just a note, I never saw a worm on the first round (Wazine followed by the Ivermectin) but I did notice they had a little bit of an interest in some of their mates doo-doos.

To eat dirt or not eat dirt.... that is the 3goodeggs question of the day LOL.

Thanks for your input chkn. I think perhaps I will get their poop tested and see what the vet says. My personal belief is not to over medicate and to let nature run its course (to an extent). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Does anyone do yearly poop checks? Very interested in how everyone worms.

Back
Top Bottom