wormy chickens, advice?

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
Ok this picture was taken just a lil bit ago and 5 min late they curled up and died. There were like 4 of something.

Are they hook worms or intestinal? And will wazine kill them and fix the problem? I have the liquid one that goes into the water. How much do I use in 1 gallon water and how long do I use it for? Thanks everyone!

could be roundworms. regardless, you need to worm your birds. i've never used wazine, but there should be directions on the bottle. wazine has a 14 day withdrawal period, during which you shouldn't eat the birds or their eggs.

i use ivermectin to worm my flock. i use the paste, calculate the dosage according to weight and administer orally with a syringe. i give 1 dose followed by a 2nd dose about 3 weeks later. probably not the easiest way to worm, but i don't trust myself to dose properly with the pour-on type.

good luck, lynn

Wazine works on roundworms, but most people would use a wormer that takes care of most other worms chickens get too. Valbazen is probably the best around $40 for a large amount, and Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer $20. The first one gets tapeworm but the second one does not.

Ok I looked it up n it does look to be intestinal round worms.. how long do I have to do wazine 17 and how often? How long is the period of time till its safe to eat the egga?

Wazine works on roundworms, but most people would use a wormer that takes care of most other worms chickens get too. Valbazen is probably the best around $40 for a large amount, and Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer $20. The first one gets tapeworm but the second one does not.
Safeguard (fenbendazole) *does* get one type of tapeworm when given at 20mg/kg three days in a row.

-Kathy

Last edited:
could be roundworms. regardless, you need to worm your birds. i've never used wazine, but there should be directions on the bottle. wazine has a 14 day withdrawal period, during which you shouldn't eat the birds or their eggs.

i use ivermectin to worm my flock. i use the paste, calculate the dosage according to weight and administer orally with a syringe. i give 1 dose followed by a 2nd dose about 3 weeks later. probably not the easiest way to worm, but i don't trust myself to dose properly with the pour-on type.

good luck, lynn
There is an abstract somewhere that showed ivermectin was ineffective at 200 micrograms per kilograms in controlling parasites in poultry. Dawg53 has the link... I'll try to find it.

-Kathy

Ok so then don't do wazine? Everyone is confusing me. I've never de wormed, when we looked it up on the 5 worms chickens couldget we thought it was th roundworm.. is it the cecal worm?

Back
Top Bottom