Worried - dog has low potassium level

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I know we have a few vets and vet techs on the site so I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Yesterday I brought my dog to the vet to have his teeth scaled and they did a blood test prior to using anesthesia and they discovered that he had very low potassium. My vet wants to test him again in 2 weeks to see if it corrects itself or not. He mentioned Addison's disease because my dog is a schnauzer and I guess they're susceptible to it. I'm really worried. Is there any less alarming reason why a dog could have low potassium on a given day?
fl.gif
My dog had not been fed that morning because he wasn't supposed to eat ahead of time. Could the lack of food and stress from being there cause the potassium problem? I'm pathetically attached to my dog and it's going to be very hard getting through these next two weeks worrying about him.

Have you seen this site?

http://www.addisondogs.com/

It's not a death sentence; they can live a normal life. Wouldn't hurt to read up on it. If this turns out to be the problem, at least you'll know what your vet is talking about. And if not, since your breed is susceptible, you will know what to watch for in coming years.

"Very low" potassium shouldn't happen just from skipping breakfast. On the other hand, sometimes there is a lab error, for any number of reasons; could be normal next time.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom