WWYD: accidental Sevin Dusting

Critters_in_a_CrowsNest

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Ugh.

A few weeks ago I made a big mistake. Grabbed the Sevin dust can instead of the Poultry Dust and sprinkled a copious amount of it on a broody and the nesting box because I saw mites crawling all over. I was in a rush b/c she was brooding in with broody guineas and those ladies are vicious...so, I seized the opportunity to dust when they had left stall, but in my haste, grabbed the wrong thing...(why do the containers have to be the same size/dimensions?!??!?)

I pretty sure that until very recently, 5% carbaryl was still ok'd in Canada for poultry, though Sevin is banned in the US for poultry use. (I am in the US, but was figuring if the main ingredient was still approved for our northern neighbors, maybe I'd be ok)

She's the best broody ever and my favorite lady. I have a flock of 20-something chickens, so when she starts laying again, I will not be able to figure out which are her eggs to toss.

Do I have to cull her? Will this one goof be ok? She's my baby :(

Wow, I am stunned, I have a thing of it that Mom gave me for the garden but the warnings on the label scared the crap out of me, so I was keeping it as far away from the girls as possible. :-o "Wear a dust mask when using, cover your whole body, holy moley DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT!" LOL So I could have been using this all along...

Thanks for all the responses...I'm feeling a little better. I just am panicking because all the "lifetime withdrawal" stats I keep reading. Part of me knows that it's still used in other parts of the world and that it *was* routinely used in the US until the label changed, but yet I also keep hearing "lifetime withdrawal...meat and eggs." I'm watching her now, be a nanny to some guinea keets, in addition to her own babies, while the mama and papa guineas are off "forgetting" that they have children to care for....she's a great hen.

Back
Top Bottom