Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
It's been almost a year since I've popped by. Wanted to say hi, hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather and no one is hurting from the lack of moisture too much. It's baby season again.
Our three girls have been doing well and we are going to be pushing the numbers out to an even six maybe seven(I think I HAVE to have a Frizzle) this year. We sure have learned a lot in our first year of chicken raising.
Happy Easter everyone!

Welcome.  I'm Sara in Laramie.  I know from experience the Wyandottes and the Barred Rocks will be good.  I haven't had any of the others you mentioned in the winter but I've read they are cold hardy as well.

Hello I am Rhonda from Wheatland, still trying to figure it out
1f631.png

Last edited:

Hello, and thanks for the welcome.

My chicks are 2 days over a week old, and I already need to move to a higher walled brood. Not sure if they continue to grow like this I will be able to wait the whole 8 weeks to put them in their run.
My question for you today is... Do I really have to wait the full 8 weeks to put them in the run with the coop?

Hello, and thanks for the welcome.

My chicks are 2 days over a week old, and I already need to move to a higher walled brood. Not sure if they continue to grow like this I will be able to wait the whole 8 weeks to put them in their run.
My question for you today is... Do I really have to wait the full 8 weeks to put them in the run with the coop?

On days like today they can be out for awhile but we are far from being over the cold weather now. The ones that I have will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I have them in a brooder with a controlled temperature heater. I started them at 90°F and will be dropping it to 80°F tomorrow.

They need to be fully feathered before they can be without heat.

Look at all the new faces......Yayyyy!!!!

Yes, someone told me that they won't have all their feathers till they are 8 weeks old. But it is nice to know I can take them outside on nice days. It is a bit windy in Wheatland today, and they are just over a week old, but as they get older, and the weather gets nicer I will have to do that
1f60a.png

On days like today they can be out for awhile but we are far from being over the cold weather now.  The ones that I have will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I have them in a brooder with a controlled temperature heater.  I started them at 90°F and will be dropping it to 80°F tomorrow. 

They need to be fully feathered before they can be without heat.

He's nicer than I am....I put 'em out within days and keep them out. As soon as I know they are over any stress from shipping (which this last batch had badly after sitting in Casper in the sorting area from 7:11 am until 3 am the next morning!) and that they are eating, drinking, and know where Mama Heating Pad is to get warm, they are evicted to the run outside. They thrive, so I ain't changing it.

But if there was only one way to raise chicks, this entire web site could be read in half an hour, right?
lau.gif

He's nicer than I am....I put 'em out within days and keep them out. As soon as I know they are over any stress from shipping (which this last batch had badly after sitting in Casper in the sorting area from 7:11 am until 3 am the next morning!) and that they are eating, drinking, and know where Mama Heating Pad is to get warm, they are evicted to the run outside. They thrive, so I ain't changing it.

But if there was only one way to raise chicks, this entire web site could be read in half an hour, right?
lau.gif

The difference between just putting them out in a run and what you do is that you provide them heat in the run. Mine are in an unheated building so they stay contained in the brooder for at least two weeks. It isn't because I am nicer, it is because I can't be bothered with worrying about them. I also don't have any heat sources in my run so they can't go into the run until fully feathered or unless the weather is really warm.

Using a Mama Heating Pad for a small number of chicks is one thing but I hatched 90 chicks and I don't think that trying to fit them all under a Mama Heating Pad would work.

Last edited:
The difference between just putting them out in a run and what you do is that you provide them heat in the run. Mine are in an unheated building so they stay contained in the brooder for at least two weeks. It isn't because I am nicer, it is because I can't be bothered with worrying about them. I also don't have any heat sources in my run so they can't go into the run until fully feathered or unless the weather is really warm.

Using a Mama Heating Pad for a small number of chicks is one thing but I hatched 90 chicks and I don't think that trying to fit them all under a Mama Heating Pad would work.
Aw, where's your spirit of adventure, Bob? Get an electric blanket and make a really big one!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom