YO GEORGIANS! :)

Princess Cleo passed in my arms about an hour and a half ago. Marek's is a terrible disease that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I hope none of you have to watch your chickens go through it. Her feisty personality will surely be missed.

On another note, I've been thinking... I know I said I wouldn't get another RIR but her personality was like fire, so feisty and I will miss it. I would probably get another, not anytime soon though because I will not be getting anymore chickens anytime soon.

So sorry!! :hugs

What about compatibility among these? Which of these breeds get along best? Thought we would have at least 2 diff varities

All of those breeds would get along pretty well. Chickens don't usually have a problem with different breeds getting along. There are SOME exceptions, like my Sumatras (who want to dominate everything), but all of those you listed aren't in that list of exceptions.

Agreed. I have a very mixed flock. It took them awhile to sort out their pecking order, but now they get along great! :)

. My BO and her chicks

So cute!!!

And broody hatched out chick #3 this afternoon! This one is also black, but smaller than the other. Mama is so happy!! :) 3 out of 3 ain't bad! ;) I moved them all to a separate pen so mama can raise them in peace. Hoping to get some better pics of the new family this weekend! :D

My slw came from mj's place. And Rocky Rhodes from this forum advertises on craigs list and his chickens are excellent.
I. I just asked mj hatchery if they vaccinate and they said no. Is their a place I can have them vaccinated if I buy them?

I. I just asked mj hatchery if they vaccinate and they said no. Is their a place I can have them vaccinated if I buy them?

Aside from your vet, no. And even they may not go for it.

The problem with the vaccination is that it comes in 1,000-dose vials, and it's ONLY good for about 2 hours once it is mixed. So either you buy it and vaccinate 1,000 chicks all at once, or you vaccinate the ones you have and throw the remaining vaccine away. The vial costs $20, but shipping usually costs another $25 on top of that. So $45 for a small handful of chicks isn't usually worth it. That's why many smaller breeders don't vaccinate for Marek's.

Now if you don't mind spending the $45 to vaccinate your OWN chicks (for your own peace of mind) you can get it at JeffersPet.com. When I vaccinate chicks, I use my mom's excess diabetic syringes. It has VERY tiny needles, but the liquid still passes through.

Back
Top Bottom