YO GEORGIANS! :)

Cinnamons wounds are healing and her feathers are growing back everywhere else
celebrate.gif

I got my first green egg this Saturday. Got two on Sunday which means both my Americanas are laying now. Egg to the far left is what my Cornish Rock is laying. She is having a tuff time in this heat. I need to separate her from the roosters as she is too easy to "catch" and they are getting ruff with her.

I'm glad to be a part of this community. When I was a teen, my parents bought some land and started a small farm. We had ~20 chickens at any given time. We currently live in a sub-division (no chickens allowed), and in the process of moving, our close date is Aug 8. In our new house, NO subdivision! (will never live in one again) we have just over an acre of land, and want to start up with chickens. Currently doing research on Coops, Chicken types, etc.

My young daughter and wife want Silkies, I want a bigger chicken that produces bigger eggs.

I come here to learn a coop design and breeds of chickens and will start building the coop shortly after we move in, less than two weeks!

There's a whole giant section on this website dedicated to coop designs. Lots of 'em.

sad.png
very sad to have to say this, but after a bad fall that chipped a vertebrae and many tense conversations with my DH, I'm not going to have chickens for a long while. A friend is going to take my five buffs. Going to ortho dr and neurologist in the next few weeks. ER dr said I will most likely have to have surgery on my neck UGGGG. Due to my other health crap, I can't take pain meds. So for now I have to take care of my health and chickens and all my projects are over for at least a yr or more
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
thank you so much for all the help you all have given me and I hope one day I can start again.
I am sorry to hear about your chipped vertebrae, pain and having to take a break from chickens. I pray you are healed soon and can once again enjoy raising chickens.

I'm glad to be a part of this community. When I was a teen, my parents bought some land and started a small farm. We had ~20 chickens at any given time. We currently live in a sub-division (no chickens allowed), and in the process of moving, our close date is Aug 8. In our new house, NO subdivision! (will never live in one again) we have just over an acre of land, and want to start up with chickens. Currently doing research on Coops, Chicken types, etc.

My young daughter and wife want Silkies, I want a bigger chicken that produces bigger eggs.

I come here to learn a coop design and breeds of chickens and will start building the coop shortly after we move in, less than two weeks!
You have found the best place for all things fowl! ((snicker)) No seriously, if you need to know something and can't find it on here someone on BYC will either know the answer, know where you can find the answer or try their best to help. Now about the Silkies
big_smile.png
When you are ready I have a white Silkie Roo that will need rehoming. He is about 10 weeks old now. I am in Wilkes County but my DH works out of Athens when he isn't traveling. Just let me know if you are interested in the Silkie Roo. I can post pics of him if your wife and daughter would like. Oh and if you haven't already add yourself to the Yo Georgians "underground chicken railroad" map. The link is located in my signature.

Just popping in to say hi! I've been SO busy that BYC hasn't made it onto my list of things I can accomplish in a day ;-)

I came over to post in the meat forum. Anyone have their chickens that have been frozen in shrink bags end up tasting like plastic?

My neighbor turned some of his young chickens loose to free range and they come over to our yard which is fine with us I just wanted to know the breed of this one little chicken. They said I could keep it if I wanted it but I would like to know about the breed. When I asked the neighbor he just says "well I got some game chickens, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Reds and all". Hmm... He has a large incubator that holds like 500 eggs and gets eggs from different places so I'm not sure he even knows. The chicken has black on its tail and around it's neck like a Delaware but has blue colored feet. Let me know what you think and if I should post somewhere else on here. Thanks!
the white one looks very similar to an EE hen I have

BEWARE POO QUESTIONS BELOW:
Has anyone noticed a change in poo since it's been so hot? My chickens aren't acting sick, but being a newbie I worry when poo looks off. Then reading about the vast levels of normal poo , on the forum thread it's hard to know if something is wrong without other symptoms.

I noticed more runny/squishy yellowish poo lately. Not foamy just caramel colored vs the standard brown. Even sometimes I will see them just squirt out clear liquid with a little poo in it. Again no other symptoms. Any thoughts from the veterans???

BEWARE POO QUESTIONS BELOW:
Has anyone noticed a change in poo since it's been so hot? My chickens aren't acting sick, but being a newbie I worry when poo looks off. Then reading about the vast levels of normal poo , on the forum thread it's hard to know if something is wrong without other symptoms.

I noticed more runny/squishy yellowish poo lately. Not foamy just caramel colored vs the standard brown. Even sometimes I will see them just squirt out clear liquid with a little poo in it. Again no other symptoms. Any thoughts from the veterans???
Mine have a lot of white in theirs, also more runny than usual. I think it is all the water intake.

Back
Top Bottom