YO GEORGIANS! :)

In part of their temp brooder bin before they all fully dried off. Going to put them on sand this weekend! (What kind of sand?)
Omgosh! Loving all the fluffy butt pictures! I helped my daughter @locoschicks today with a new chick that she let the hens hatch over the weekend. There was another one zipping and they had about 10 more eggs under them. We use Masonry sand that we get from Thomson Construction Supply Co. in Washington, GA. You can get 5 gallon buckets full for $2 or if you know someone with a dump truck it is I forget the exact weight but basically a small dump truck full for like $26. The masonry sand has tiny rocks in it great for grit. You do not want to use play sand it is too powdery. We looked at all the big box stores and all they had was Masonry mix which was more like a concrete mix that is completely not good for the chickens. PM me if you want more info about the sand.

I use Masonry sand in the coop and run and try to paint all the roosts, walls, ramps, etc. with interior/exterior low odor paint. It cleans up great with white vinegar and water. I use a kitty poo scoop for the poop board and a modified shrub rake for the floor of the coop for a quick scooping each day. We also use the sand in the run but we only have a small area of it for them to bathe in for now. We are waiting until they eat or scratch all the grass in the new run then we will put the sand all over the run.

Do you have a fly issue at all?

Well geez, mom. It only stands to reason that the eggs will hatch faster if I make it hotter. I was just trying to help. You are so impatient, I just wanted your chicks to get here faster. But if you're gonna go all potty mouth on me, just wait and see if I try to help again.
tongue.png

More like "I touch everything, touchy, touchy, touchy, touchy!" LOL

I just posted the same question on the "What Breed/gender forum" too. I was thinking EE too but my EE has dark green feet so I thought that was the EE mark, green. I got another picture of the top of the chicken this morning.

She doesn't seem to have the green feet or the thick neck of EEs.... Maybe another mix?

My last cornish rock hen died yesterday. From the looks of it she was mortally wounded by one or both of the roosters while they were trying to mate her. The only reason I was keeping her and the roosters around was to attempt to hatch a hybrid bird. Anyway their fates were tied together and I bagged her up and took her to the dump and rounded up the roosters and took them to my friends house for him to process. I'm pretty bummed but out of the 12 I bought in Feb (4 of which were cornish xs) I have 6 good laying hens which is more than I need for myself. I have definitely learned my lesson when it comes to raising meat birds and trying to get them to lay (which she did) and also keeping roosters. Now my feed cost should be very minimal and my hens should be happier now that they aren't getting mated every hour on the hour.

Back
Top Bottom