Young peahen's toes turning white

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I have an 8 month old peahen. She did something to her toe and her nail fell off. It was a little swollen and a little white. A new nail started growing in immediately and the swelling went down after the old nail fell off. The white went away too. I noticed this morning that the toe is turning white again. It's on both feet this time. Is it infected?
20210318_101159.jpg

Frostbite. When FB happens the first thing is the talon will fall off leaving the quick underneath exposed. In time the toe will die back and fall off. It doesn't look like your toe is very bad and should not die back very far. This guy is losing most of his toes halfway back. This pic is from a month ago, they are now black and very stiff, and dead. Eventually, the dead part will break off. Make sure that you have flat roosts so when the bird roosts the breast feathers cover the end of the toes. Too small of roost and the toes will wrap around and not get covered.
IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

Frostbite. When FB happens the first thing is the talon will fall off leaving the quick underneath exposed. In time the toe will die back and fall off. It doesn't look like your toe is very bad and should not die back very far. This guy is losing most of his toes halfway back. This pic is from a month ago, they are now black and very stiff, and dead. Eventually, the dead part will break off. Make sure that you have flat roosts so when the bird roosts the breast feathers cover the end of the toes. Too small of roost and the toes will wrap around and not get covered.
They have a 1x6 board for a roost. It was -30 degrees though for a few days last month. I think that happened to the peacock we have before we got him. I have a hen with the same thing. Almost all of our chickens got frostbite this winter.

They have a 1x6 board for a roost. It was -30 degrees though for a few days last month. I think that happened to the peacock we have before we got him. I have a hen with the same thing. Almost all of our chickens got frostbite this winter.
We had -22* here and lost a few toes as well. Once they get burned they tend to stay on the ground and if they do not have any bedding on the ground and in my case they have sand floors they get re-frozen and it just gets worse. That is what happened to this guy I showed pics of.

Back
Top Bottom