Young serama hen doesn't mate

Pics

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi! I have a flock of "regular" sized chickens (two breeds), and 4 month ago I've brought two serama chicks - a male and a female.
The female serama is 4.5 months old now - and today she laid her first egg!!! I was extremely surprised since I have always known that 6 months is the time.
Anyway, I have noticed that the serama rooster is intrested ONLY in the other big hens, and doesnt mate with her. And I assume that the regular sized roosters won't mate with such a small chicken...
It is important to state that she squats to me when I touch her or hold her.
The male serama doesnt seem to try mating with her, but does chase the big hens.

What can I do the make sure she mates with the rooster?? Is there any way to check that the egg she lays is fertilized?? I want her to incubate her own eggs. What can I do? Please, help!
Thank you!

You would need to keep the seramas in there own pen. So the rooster has no choice but to mate with her.
Thanks! Can they be together even for a few hours in the same pen? Will that be enough? Also, can a 4.5 monts rooster fertilize the eggs? And... If I do that tomorrow, for instance, will the next egg she'll lay already be fertilized?

Well for what your talking about you would have to be there with them to witness them mating. Once the rooster mates with her it takes roughly 24 hours for the next egg to be fertilized. Don't use the first egg, instead Crack it open to check for a bullseyemark on the yolk. Use a magnifying glass to see.
I see. And do you think the rooster is old enough? He is about 4.5 months old (like her)..
And I would really appriciate if you could give more detalis/send a thread discussing what you said about cracking and checking the egg...
Thank you!!

There both at sexual maturity.

Grab a plate, Crack the egg content on the plate. Check for this:

Screenshot_20230723_150542_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom