Your experience - how effective is electric netting for free ranging during the day?

We not only have to concern ourselves with poultry predators but fence predators! LOL! What a bummer. A friend of mine got a Premier1 on my advice for her geese. What we didn't realize was that the geese would eat the wires when she turned it off to care for them. In that case, it would be imperative to have the gate. I didn't have any geese so I didn't know they would eat the fence.

I had a pack of coyotes scream into the yard and one, apparently I didn't actually see it, tried to climb the fence because a pole was pushed over but not down. I have the birds locked in at night so it couldn't have gotten anything anyway, but that couldn't have felt good and I don't think it will forget my fence for quite a time.

Another fence predator happens to be my dogs. Today when moving fence to a new location prior to hooking it up, dogs chased a rabbit it to fence causing some modest damage. Dogs I have larger than coyotes.

I returned my kencove net. What a piece of garbage. Even pulling the bottom wire tightly between posts the wires between the post rolled over like a muffin top over a pair of jeans that are too small. They said their fences need extra posts, so they KNOW it is a problem, but we tried extra posts and it DID NOT HELP. There is no gate system available. The posts are too thin and do not support the fence.

Their customer service gives you a different answer EVERYTIME you call with the same problem.

Sending ANYTHING back, even if it is their problem - a design problem in the item, and you get slapped with a hearty restocking fee. They lost my business forever.

I will be putting up my Premier Fence sometime in the next week.

I need to put the electric fence around the orchard FIRST !

Towing the flaming locomotive from the cliff edge and putting it back on the track.....

I just received my Premier fencing electric fence.  I ordered the graduated 4 foot tall fence in white, and ordered the gate kit, and also ordered the extra heavy duty corner posts.  In for a penny, in for a pound, eh?

Now I just need to find the time to put it up.  Right now we are only allowing free ranging while under direct supervision.  Even then, though, it is a race to see who can make it to the compost pile first before mommy gets the stick.  Sigh... why oh why is a pile of yuck SO attractive to them?!  Forget mealworms... rotting compost!

This does not agree with post above?

There was almost 13 feet of netting between the 1/2 inch diameter posts for the kencove netting.

THe Premier netting is only 6 feet of netting between almost one inch posts.
This does not agree with post above?

I just returned a KENCOVE fence two weeks ago.
I ORDERED and got a Premier fence this past week. But have not had a chance to put it up yet.

I know there are different levels of quality of fences you can buy from Premier. Their site is a little hard to navigate and make sure you are ordering what you really, really want.

I ordered the 48 inch tall, poultry fence, which has the smaller openings at the bottom and the larger ones as you go up. The posts are almost one inch in diameter. The posts are 6 feet apart, and I ordered the 6 feet tall extra heavy duty corner posts.

There are warnings throughout the Premier sight that warn that lower costs fences are not up to snuff, and may not give you the results you want. Knowing that, I don't know why they bother selling them.

I know there are different levels of quality of fences you can buy from Premier.  Their site is a little hard to navigate and make sure you are ordering what you really, really want.

I ordered the 48 inch tall, poultry fence, which has the smaller openings at the bottom and the larger ones as you go up.  The posts are almost one inch in diameter.  The posts are 6 feet apart, and I ordered the 6 feet tall extra heavy duty corner posts.

There are warnings throughout the Premier sight that warn that lower costs fences are not up to snuff, and may not give you the results you want.  Knowing that, I don't know why they bother selling them.

Mess with lower quality when buying in bulk (bee hives) or using under conditions that are not extreme. Fewer posts per length suitable for very flat ground but not well suited for any king of hilliness as all. Same problem applies for more static hot-wire fencing where I have to purchase a lot more posts and insulators per lenght of fence. More parts means more labor. The poultry netting is showing to be best where ground is very flat and fencing is to be moved a lot. Poultry netting requires more charger output and more effort to manage vegetation. Paddocks you can have will poultry netting are much smaller which OK with me when confining only cohorts of chicks I want to keep separate from each other and adults.

Mess with lower quality when buying in bulk (bee hives) or using under conditions that are not extreme. Fewer posts per length suitable for very flat ground but not well suited for any king of hilliness as all. Same problem applies for more static hot-wire fencing where I have to purchase a lot more posts and insulators per lenght of fence. More parts means more labor. The poultry netting is showing to be best where ground is very flat and fencing is to be moved a lot. Poultry netting requires more charger output and more effort to manage vegetation. Paddocks you can have will poultry netting are much smaller which OK with me when confining only cohorts of chicks I want to keep separate from each other and adults.

Agree. My ground is totally flat, and it still rolled and lay on the ground. My charger makes the cows jump and I can hear the zap when they touch it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom