Your longest quail incubation?

BuddyB

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 1, 2014
NorCal
Wondering if anyone's had any crazy long quail incubation periods? This is my first time tryin to hatch I'm doing jumbo browns and I'm at the end of day 20. Only 3 so far out of 15 eggs. Any tips?

My first quail incubation went 22 days and only had 50 percent hatch rate. I have a smaller forced air incubator my first batch i played with the temp and thought i had it right but i was checking the temp at the top of the bator so the temp where the eggs set was actually lower. So my second batch i got the temp correct and had a 100 percent hatch rate i also didnt adjust humidity the second go round kept it at 55 percent. I hope this info helps

I had a terrible first hatch, from 36 eggs I had 6 hatch 3 of which died that night in the incubator and they were the first 3 out on day 23 for coturnix (was about to give up when I saw pips on day 22). Day 24 and 25 I had a further 3 hatch of which one had scissor beak, one got stuck and had to have an assisted hatch as well as having deformed feet and the other had deformed feet. Both those with deformed feet I made shoes for and would be healthy 4 week olds if quasimodo hadnt boinked and hurt her neck (see quailjailer I said she, I am on the road to acceptance!).I was amazed a chick 7 days late could survive but my temps were way off what my thermometer was showing!

Wait a bit longer, but dont be optimistic without accepting the possibilities of deformities. Ifyou reach a point where you think they should be chucked then candle/float test?

The chicks communicate in the shell. What is going to hatch and be healthy will usually all hatch close to the same time. Search BYC for a thread called "float testing eggs for late stage viability" Make sure to start at the beginning of the thread. It will tell you how to check the eggs to see if any are still alive.

To answer the question I've heard of them hatching as late as 23 days. I've had stragglers hatch on day 21 several times.

Great thanks . I'll have to read up on that float test. 5 baby's out now . One of the chicks first pipped 2 1/2 to 3 days ago . Almost wondering of it needs help? Not really expecting anymore to hatch but this ones got its beak out...

Great thanks . I'll have to read up on that float test. 5 baby's out now . One of the chicks first pipped 2 1/2 to 3 days ago . Almost wondering of it needs help? Not really expecting anymore to hatch but this ones got its beak out...
That chick that pipped will be dead by now. Assisted hatching is a skill that takes development and even then I don't recommend it. Hatching out is Darwins first test for these little guys.

From pip to hatch if they don't make it out in 30 or so hours they won't.

Oh yes I deffinately did or they would have roasted in there! Is there anyway to Help the shrink wrap issue? Like misting or upping the humidity maybe? I really have no idea what I'm doing

Last edited:
Lol. When the chicks hatch they can easily last 24 hours in the brooder. Try to leave them in there most of that time or all of it. Basically they should look like a fluffy mostly dry chick when you pull them out. Don't worry they won't roast. 100* is their normal temperature at this point in the process so they are perfectly adapted to it. I know it feels like you are cooking them but think about what 100 degrees is to you, now imagine if you couldn't generate your own body heat...

As far as shrink wrapping, you will always have to worry about it if there are pipped eggs. The drying of the membrane is too rapid to really prevent it from happening. You can add a couple table spoons of slightly warmer water to boost humidity after you open the door. Again though if a chick is pipping the way to not shrink wrap it is to not open the door. Basically try to only open the door one time to remove all the chicks or at least most of them. After you get teh main group out it is only stragglers anyway. The chicks communicate in the shell to organize the hatch so most of what hatches will hatch all at once, try to save opening the door until you this group is ready to come out. That way the major portion of your hatch will be safe, and whatever else you get is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom