Your take on Birds from Tractor Supply?

That's good that they take those kinds of pains to keep the kids out. I wish the TSC did that here. They let people pick them up and kids were dropping them, mishandling them, and so forth. Basically not at all good if you want healthy chicks. They do try to monitor the bins but I think they could try harder. But we have bought chicks from there, as well as the local feed mill, and both places sold us fine, healthy chicks that grew to adulthood with no issues at all.

The two locations I visited last year set up barricades midway through Chick Days to keep people out of the bins. I imagine they'll start the event with the barricades this year. Both regularly carried a bin of meat birds and a bin of sexed pullets (red, black, or white hybrids). They had a third bin that alternated with straight-run chicks of a specific breed or mixed bantams. Sometimes they have turkeys or ducks -- depends on available space and what their store decides will sell in their area.

How the bins are set up, how much training the employees get, how much staffing is provided for that area, what is ordered, etc. is all variable by store. So, your results will vary depending on which store you visit. I know that one in particular had a bin full of Easter Eggers labeled as "Gold Laced Wyandottes"...

It's still a very good place to pick up a couple of hybrid layers if that's all you need!

I have a great relationship with my local tsc. Some of my best chicks come from there and management always lets me know as much as they know about the chicks. My tsc chicks are seperated from the ones I order for 2 weeks just in case. I always go in knowing that the majority of the employees have no idea what they have on hand and try to prepare myself by knowing what Im looking for. They usually call me so I get to them before they have too much time to get shuffled. I like the baracades and mine added germ x an lysol wipes to the display.

I got 4 production red hens and 3 banty 2 roos and a hen and 2 silkie hens from my TSC last year, the production reds were in a pullet bin and everyone else was straight run. All the hens are laying well my silkies have a few extra toes but that is to be expected with hatchery chicks but health wise they re all very healthy my banty hen and silkie hen have both hatched out chicks and are excellent mothers, My TSC gets their chicks on tuesdays and usually by thursday they are out especially during peak season unless they put in a big order, I also so to Buchiets which has a larger variety and they don't have a min order but I come home with 6 or more most of the time.

I asked my TSC last year about the new arrangement for the chicks. A lot of the problem was the outbreak of salmonella last year, which caused mine not to have the usually 2ND season of chicks. the manager is also happy about preventing mishandling and mixed-up chicks. My TSC also allows personal orders for your chicks through out the year. I hope this year to start with to get POL chickens, then I'll probable get chicks from them-when my hubbie builds the larger coop and someone goes broody.

Our TSC had Australorps and Golden Laced Wyandottes last year. They carry mainly Leghorns, RIRs and production chickens, but they always order rarer breeds. They go fast.

They order from McMurray and local hatcheries.

I'll be looking for Silkies this year.
big_smile.png

Do they have good quality chicks for showing? Also do they have RIR and Black Australorp?

Hatchery birds are not generally show quality and TSC buys from hatcheries. It's like buying a dog from a puppy mill vs. a breeder. You might get lucky but probably not. Breeders are a better source.

Hi, Well as the title states, I would like to know your take on birds from Tractor Supply? For the last couple of years I have been hatching RIR from our birds that we got from a friend. But Now I am intersted in getting some batams.....I would love to just buy them as "day olds" but don't want to purchase "bad" birds. What are your opinition on birds from Tractor Supply as far as heath and such.

I've had quite a few from TSC and they have all been healthy and good layers. You're not going to get show quality, but if all you want are backyard pets and some layers, you can do worse. I even had a BSL from TSC go broody on me last year and she was an awesome Mama. I'm kinda hoping she wants to hatch out some more for me this Spring.....

Back
Top Bottom