Converted Playhouse

  1. cmbookworm
    Almost as soon as we built our first coop/run, we decided it was going to be too small (because...chicken math). We had a mixed flock of 8 pullets and 1 roo (Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, and Barred Rocks). Over the past couple of months we looked and looked and tried to figure out what we wanted to do- use a shed and convert to a coop? A deer stand? Buy a coop from someone? Something else? So, we found a 4x6 playhouse on Craigslist and made plans to modify it to be a chicken coop.

    My husband (god love him....he is handy and patient too!) did all the hard stuff- cutting plywood to replace rotting pieces, building a nesting box, making the roosting bars, fitting the run to the coop and covering it, patching, making "shutters" for the windows, fitting door handles, hooks/eyes, etc. I painted, stapled some hardware cloth, and put in the vinyl square flooring. I think I got the better end of the deal for sure.

    I'm thrilled with how it came out! So, we have 4 new birds that are in the old coop now, waiting to join the flock in a few weeks (2 Barred Rocks and 2 Black Sex Links).

    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Our flock enjoying the new run:

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]


    Our new girls waiting to join the flock:
    [​IMG]

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. N F C
    Very cute, love the red paint!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by