Since I have found BYC SOOOO helpful with my coop build and EVERYTHING chicken. I decided I would share my coop build with everyone here and anyone looking to start in chicken keeping.
Material list (so far)-
1.5 2x6x16 (free from our old farm fence)
8 2x4x8 $16
10 2x6x8 (culled wood for $15) ripped in half for 3x3 wall studs.
7 sheets OSB plywood $40
1 box stip nails (pnuematic nailer) $32
1 box coated nails $3 and 16 hurricane straps for the roof $4
3 10' Drip edge $9. Shingles and felt paper free from extra stored in garage.
Random hardware (door hinges, latches, screws etc) $15.
Vinyl floor and glue $37.
And about 12 3ft lengths of random scrap wood for the nesting boxes.
15 5ft lengths of scrap pine flooring (ripped down to various sizes for roost, door frames etc)
As of 6/8/11 totals $171. Keeping it as cheap as I can. Sure beats the "off the shelf" tiny $500-$1000 stuff out there.

arrow-down.gif I started with a 4x8 platform 18" from the ground, to give the chickens a shady place and to keep the rodents from making a home under there.
arrow-down.gif Got the walls mocked up and built framework for the nesting boxes. The front walls stand 4 feet above the platform, and the rear is 3 feet. Giving a 1 in 4 slope for water run off. I will overhang the roof 6 in on all sides to keep most of the weather off the walls.
arrow-down.gif 6 nesting boxes. I am sure that they all won't get used, but there is never enough room.. I decided on external boxes so there is more floor space and more room for the birds. Hoping to avoid pecking issues with our cold winters. Plus adding doors on the outside to make egg collecting much easier.
arrow-down.gif Took the walls off and moved it all to the run. nailed up walls and started on the interior sheeting.
arrow-down.gif Another angle. At the bottom of the wall I am going to add another door, for a large clean out tray from under the roost. I will staple wire under the roost to prevent the girls form getting under ther, but collecting the majority of the poop. Keeping the girls cleaner as well as the rest of the coop. Bonus also that I will not have to crawl into the coop every couple of days and clean the whole thing. I can clean most of it from the outside.
arrow-down.gif Framing the roof. It will over hang enough to cover the nesting boxes. I am not a framer, so its not completly square.
I just keep telling myself "Its a chicken coop, not a clock".
arrow-down.gif Roof framing is complete. Also got all the plywood up on the inside. Starting to nail the plywood on the roof. Still need to cut out the window and cleanout door.
arrow-down.gif The chainlink fence right behind the coop in this pic, was added to section 1/3 of the run off, making 2 gates between the dogs and the chickens. That way there should be no reason that they should ever mingle too close.
arrow-down.gif Roof completed. Need to install eaves and flashing.
arrow-down.gif Inside view before paint. Needs the doors too.
arrow-down.gif Painted and flooring installed. Glued and stapled.
arrow-down.gif Building 3 tier roost. There will be a clean out door underneith and wire stapled under so the chickens can't get into the poop.
arrow-down.gif Roost completed. I hope they like it.
arrow-down.gif The floor is installed in the nesting boxes too. Plus I added a perch in front of the upper boxes to ease access.
arrow-down.gif Overall shot of the interior. NOTE: The camera on my phone distorted the pic. The floor is actually flat but appears like theres a big dip (low spot) on the left side. When I first saw the pic big, I was thrown back, but I have spent enough time inside this thing to know its FLAT.
arrow-down.gif Just about ready to move in.
arrow-down.gif Moving day went great. The girls took to the coop wonderfully. A shot of them exploring the interior.
arrow-down.gif It took a few hours, but they figured out the ramp pretty good. This is a shot of a RIR who did not want to walk the rest of the way.
arrow-down.gif Its been a couple of months, but I am finally getting around to finishing the exterior. I got the whole thing insulated today (9/11/11) and most of the exterior sheeting up. I still need to install a few pieces and a ton of trim.
arrow-down.gif The front sheeting up. Cant wait to get it all painted and ready for winter.
arrow-down.gif The nesting boxes work good. I hope the are big enough. The Delaware in the upper middle had trouble getting comfortable, but I think she'll wise up and hang her head out eventually. This was the first time I have seen more than one in any given box at the same time. Usually when there is one in a box, the others wait and squak.

I am constantly updating so keep on eye out. Thanks for looking. Josh

  • Like
Reactions: 24Chickens