The Cozy Coop in Cape
We've always wanted to have out own hens so one evening we went out and did it. We picked up 7 chicks, 4 red ones and 3 white ones from Tractor Supply along with all the starter equipment. Our chicks lived in our downstairs bathroom in an old wooden toy box while the pressure was on to build their coop. Boy, they get big fast and soon we had to put a screen over the top of the box so they wouldn't fly out. And so the coop was started.
The location is just on the outside of our yard and backing into the woods. I cut down a couple small trees and raked the area clean. The area was on bit of slope so instead of trying to level it I decided to plant concrete footers. I figured this would be perfect for keeping drainage maximized. I opted out of using pressure treated as we were trying to go as organic as possible. The footers worked to keep the wood off the ground.
My main goal was to build a lovely chick coop for the girls at a reasonable cost. My budget was about $800.
Here's the footers in place with 4x4 attached. The footprint is 7.5'x10'
2x4 framing. I really liked the Triple C Coop here on Backyard Chickens and took their basic framing style. It's a great design as it's just so simple and clean. I like the full size run with elevated built-in coop design. I calked each screw hole and primed the whole thing.
Paint, roof framing, and coop floor added.
I got a 4x8 piece of lino for 9 bucks and decking screws cheap at Mardens!
The roof. I thought maybe Suntuf would be a good option but went with the steal roof as it felt much more substantial. Use a circular saw with steal cutting blade to cut. The guys at the big box store said that tin snips would work. They were very, very wrong.
Found this at our local dump a year ago. Thought of doing something artsy with it...
T111 for all the walls. T111 is a painters nightmare as it sucks up paint like a sponge. I primed it first to seal it up and then on with the Sherwin Willams expensive but awesome paint. Two coats of it.
And it's done!!! To secure the 4x4 to the ground we dug about a foot trench where those rocks are and buried the attached hardware cloth. The hardware cloth is secured to the 4x4 on the inside then pulled under and out and buried. The rocks were added to prevent dirt from splattering on the wood when it rains. I have a bit more landscaping to do before it's fully complete.
I have a heat lamp on as it's still a bit chill a night. My next project will be to bury an electric line and install an outlet inside the coop.
Hey girls! (we think one might be a rooster though) To the right is 2 nesting boxes made from the free wood pile at Rufus Deering Lumber Co. When the birds get bigger they have a roost in the roof rafter and another one to the left, poop try included.
The trap door and walk way to the run.
Clean out door #1.
I made them a little temp roost until they are ready to use the higher ones.
From the back. See how the dirt splatters on the wood. I'll be adding rocks to the base here soon.
Clean out door #2.
Easy access to the nesting boxes. Vents are above.
I can't imagine not having that huge window in the coop. It so nice to walk by and see what they are up to. They run around a lot and are really interested in seeing what's going on outside.
I had an absolute blast thinking about and making this coop. No plans were used, just some ideas from Backyard Chickens, a couple sketches and lots of thinking. I never considered birds as pets but over the past 6 weeks these guys have become part of our family. They are lovely little creatures each with an emerging personality. I think we are all looking forward to seeing our first egg.
Thank you to Backyard Chickens for all the great info. I based my coop off the The Triple C and The Palace.
That was fun
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
Page 1 of 3
Page 1 of 3