Update: We finished the coop! I spent DAYS painting it. We kept true to the mostly recycled materials. I believe the only things we purchased NEW specifically for the coop are the:
2x4's and 2x6's (framing)
vinyl flooring remnant
2 sheets of plywood
latches (just two of them)
. . .paintbrushes
The wood inside the coop for the roosts are scraps from our home remodel. There are some wood trim pieces, oak flooring, and old growth redwood from an old cupboard we had to tear out. The plexiglass and and metal weather stripping are from our friend. He also made the latches for our doors. It has a little chicken door in the back that will eventually lead to the run.
Day 3: Constructing the coop and caulking in foam thingies that came with the (used) corrugated roofing.
Day 4: Cutting windows, digging trenches for hardware cloth, painting, and attaching hardware cloth.
Day 5: Finishing the Seashell Coop. When I suggested cutting a wood scrap to block the nest boxes, they looked at me like I had two heads. So I didn't put any bedding in them instead. The roosting boards can be moved all around, which is cool. I was hoping to have a certain area where I can catch pooop easier. At this point they don't really roost, and I had lost all design energy by then.
Little Red Egg Door
The chickens have a view of the ocean, which cannot be seen with my camera. This should really be my sun room instead.
The movable roosts. They have options. The board keeping the litter in is removable.
Oops, I can't figure out how to update the title. If someone knows how, please let me know.
We are in progress for The Sea Shell Coop. It is a coop by the sea with windy, somewhat rainy weather. I originally planned on the coop itself being 4'x4' with 3 nest boxes and a 4'x12' enclosed run. My husband and I traded a truck to our retired carpenter friend for work- trade. So, he is helping us in the construction and with materials.
Once we got together, the plans turned into a 5'x'4 coop with 5 nest boxes and 4' x 12' run. Things kind of evolved, and I lost some urban chicken keeper/ user friendly conveniences. My husband is not chicken minded, so he does not appreciate the "little things". Our friend was raised with chickens in what seems to be a very hands off style. People just dumped old fighting chickens on his family growing up. But, farm animals were not spoiled.
The whole thing has a slanted roof made from industrial grade corrugated plastic with a ridiculous amount of overhang. Thus far, the paint, all but 2 sheets of plywood, and roofing are recycled materials which he found for dirt cheap and/ or free. The hinges and pressure treated wood were store bought. The vinyl flooring was sold as a scrap at a discount carpet store.
Day 1 was framing. Day 2 was building of the nest boxes, coop floor, and attaching the roof. I have spent about 5-6 hours priming everything. I need to do the topcoats before the weekend.
Painting process. The free 5 gallon bucket of primer is pinkish-blue.