Irishsilk

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 28, 2015
Do you wash your Duck eggs or not???
....and why??
1f60a.png

I don't....and I do.

I did a lot of research about this, and read some really interesting articles. Here is one -

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

It's a long read, but really informative and interesting.

I have some really messy ducks though - ever since I added two Pekins to my flock, they are stepping all over the eggs with poopy feet. I go over all of the eggs that have some straw or feathers stuck to them with the rough side of a dry sponge, and put them in the fridge. For the more heavily soiled eggs, I will put them in the fridge as they are, then wash them under warm water before I use them.

When I sell my eggs, I ask the people buying them if they would prefer them washed or unwashed. Most people want unwashed, because they understand it extends the storage. I have a lady that comes and picks up 50+ eggs at a time, and wants them to have the longest shelf life possible. For the people that ask for them to be washed, I scrub them under warm/hot water without any soap. I then dry them off, and thinly coat them in olive oil. This help seal them back up, but it isn't perfect. I instruct them that unwashed eggs can be stored for up to 4 months refrigerated, and washed eggs should be eaten within two weeks.

The key tp cleaner eggs is a clean, dry coop - but ducks are messy, and it isn't a prefect system. Here are my "dirty" eggs That I would use without washing

I only wash dirty eggs. Washing eggs removes a protective layer that makes the eggs keep better. If you're going to eat the eggs immediately, it won't hurt to wash all of them. If you might keep some a little while, then I would only wash them if they're pretty filthy.

Great points Jducour ;-) I also keep their pen as clean as possible with heaps of fresh straw to lay in, but they're ducks. They are messy messy creatures. I have one that will not make or lay in a nest so it gets rolled around the pen and stepped on with poopy feet till I gather them in the morning.
I do not wash my eggs until I am ready to eat them or sell them. I dont refrigerate them until they are washed. Some people I sell to want unwashed eggs, I just tell them to remind me when they put in their order. I dont keep more than a weeks worth of eggs at a time. I do like to wash them before I sell them, mostly so I can do the float test and make sure they all sink.

If/ When you are going to wash your eggs:
Remember to wash your eggs in water that is about 20 degrees warmer than the egg to ensure any bacteria flows out of the pours rather than closing the pours and locking that bacteria in.

Great points Jducour ;-) I also keep their pen as clean as possible with heaps of fresh straw to lay in, but they're ducks. They are messy messy creatures. I have one that will not make or lay in a nest so it gets rolled around the pen and stepped on with poopy feet till I gather them in the morning.
I do not wash my eggs until I am ready to eat them or sell them. I dont refrigerate them until they are washed. Some people I sell to want unwashed eggs, I just tell them to remind me when they put in their order. I dont keep more than a weeks worth of eggs at a time. I do like to wash them before I sell them, mostly so I can do the float test and make sure they all sink.

Remember to wash your eggs in water that is about 20 degrees warmer than the egg to ensure any bacteria flows out of the pours rather than closing the pours and locking that bacteria in.

Thanks for this information.... I have had clean eggs as I have two nest boxes that are cozy enough for the girls not to poop in them. I will wash off poop spots with tepid water and my thumb and pat dry with paper towel if necessary. Our eggs sit on the counter and we keep them in order to use them as they are laid. When I have given eggs away, I may have to clean a spot or to, but I will always tell the recipient to wash before use and use within the week. We have been getting 4 a day (2 green shell, 2 white). Loving these eggs!

X2

Back
Top Bottom