*WARNING* GRAPHIC Embryo Quitter PICS (educational) *New pics 1st post

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I thought I would get grossed out by looking at them, but instead I found it very useful to figure out why these chicks didn't hatch. Plus, it helped me figure out what the stuff hanging off the butt of a live newborn chick was.

After my seven rocking/pipping eggs had hatched, I was left with five. I opted to see where they ended development, so took them outside and cracked them open. (Four eggs were opened yesterday and the last one was opened today. Its picture is the last one in this post.)

None of them were moving, no heart beats, no quivers or twitches, so I am confident they were deceased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED TO ADD:

quitter0.jpg

^ This was one of my very early quitters. I was afraid to post this pic for a while, but I actually think it might be beneficial here now. I had opened it into a glass dish and had placed the dish on top of a flashlight, which is why it looks illuminated internally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quitters.jpg

^ These were the quitters.

quitter1.jpg

^ This one was just a small blob of feathers with a lot of runny yolk still. I can't see any features on it at all other than the feathers. Obviously deformed.

quitter2.jpg

^ This one was tucked inside it's sack completely still, but had a bunch of dark green goop slide out with it. I believe that it died due to a bacterial infection.

quitter3.jpg

^ This one looked like it had almost finished developing, but looks as though it had a deformed neck. It's eyes had gotten milky, telling me it had been dead for a little while.

quitter4.jpg

^ This one looks like it quit here either today or yesterday. Was fully formed and cute, and I'm sorry it didn't make it. No obvious signs why, but it's yolk was still bulging out of the rear so it didn't finish absorbing it. However, seeing that one lets me know that my live chick will be OK. I know what it is I am seeing on the chick's rear now.

quitter5.jpg

^ This was the last little fellow. The egg was still all morning and I candled and saw no movement. When I cracked it open, it was obvious why this one died. The membrane was THICK. Super thick. I even had a hard time getting it open. I don't know if there was anything physically wrong with this chick, but it didn't appear so. I did notice the huge feet though.

Hope I didn't gross anyone out too badly, and if I put this in the wrong section, my apologies to the mods!

Last edited:
i have done it before out of 22 eggs 17 hatched then on day 24 i figured it was time to call it quits so i cracked them open and found mostly the same stuff minus the deformities.

Didn't gross me out...I do the same thing with quitters. Then wash them off and stick em in a ziplock and in the freezer til trash pickup day. My family says I'm wierd because I freeze the small pets. Our oscar died and was in the freezer for a month before I remembered to put it out with the trash. And no I don't freeze dogs, cats, or grown chickens.
tongue.png

Back when I was a kid, our old German shepherd dog would gulp those down without chewing.

I suppose that's OK to feed them to a dog?

Back
Top Bottom