liming for cocci

crazyhen

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
mtns of ,NC.
I was told by an agr. guy that liming an area after hens were removed would cut the num. of cocci in the soil. If this is true ; how much lime. How long does it need to stay on before mixing with soil and do you mix with soil? I know not to leave it on top when hens are added but am not sure of anything else. I want to put my chicks in a new added coop area but other hens have been in it before that were treated for the cocci. so I need to cut the rate they will be exposed. I can not find any oxine to spray things with. Will it kill cocci. Also does it kill CRD or other viral infections in the coop. I think someone said something about an ammonia product. I need lots of clarifications here. Jean

Yes, it's true. Lime heavily and dont let the birds on hydrated lime till it's tilled into the soil or it rains. IMO, lime does not belong inside the coop. It wont kill bacteria or viruses in the coop. Cocci is a protozoan.

Last edited:
I used hydrated lime two or three years ago in the Spring on my chicken runs. I kept the chickens out of one run at a time, tilled it up good, added the lime, tilled again and did not use the run for two or three weeks while it either rained or I used a garden hose soaking it really well. It will burn the chickens feet if they are put back in too soon. Not to be used in the coop at all.

You can use garden lime, the strength is not as good as the hydrated. You will still need to till it in and keep the chickens off of it for a few days til it is watered in good. My opinions.

Last edited:
Thanks so much , I still am learning so much. Enough to know how little I know. My soil is hard clay and I can not till it. Very rocky. I have a small area that I want to enclose for the chicks. It has about 2 inches of sand on it. It is open at this time. Could I lime it and mix it with the sand. Later cover it with pine shavings and enclose it for use? My chicks are growing fast. Jean

Quote:
Using the garden lime in the goat pen, I lay it on thick & don't til it in, the chickens are always running through til the goats work it in a bit & it doesn't seem to bother them at all. Probably cause they aren't on it a ton.

Back
Top Bottom