HELP!!! with turning eggs

arabookworm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
frow.gif

don't have an automatic turner in the bator, and have to turn them by hand. the only problem is that every time I go to turn them, It takes too long and the heat and humidity change drastically, which can't be healthy.

would it work if I put them in egg cartons and propped up alternate sides? or would that harm the eggs?

Help me. I don't know what to do
barnie.gif

A lot of people use egg cartons to turn their eggs. Just make sure they're going about 45 degrees to either side when you prop up the cartons. Good luck!

You can use the carton but it is okay to hand turn them.

If it takes you less than 5 min you are fine.

Momma hen gets off the nest to poop and eat and scratch in the early days but sits tight in the end.

I think you will be fine to continue as you are.

I've heard of people putting them in cartons and then tipping the bator itself side to side. That way you don't need to open the bator (other than to add water...which would have to be added by using a wet sponge or it would spill)

I don't have a turner either, and I've never tried the egg carton thing during incubation. I've heard pros and cons about it. I don't know how many eggs you have in yours, but here's how mine is set up:

13587_delaware_eggs_002.jpg

Notice the paper towel rolls? When it's time to turn, I simply remove 1 of those towel rolls and roll each row of eggs. At the next turn, I roll the eggs the opposite direction and put the towel roll back in. I hope that made sense. Works absolutely great for me. And so far, 21 out of those 25 eggs that I initially set are still developing at day 12. 2 of the 25 I removed because they were cracked when I got them, but I set them anyway.

Good luck!

Michelle

Last edited:
I ended up with two rolls of bubble wrap taped down in the bator so that the carton can be placed in between them and held in place at a 45 degree angle. I would post a pic, but my camera only takes video until I buy a memory card, and I doubt the eggs would make a very exciting video lol!!!

Quote:
I did like your idea, but we use cloth towels, not paper ones, so we didn't have anything to use. next time I'll try to do it though, as it looks really easy. thanks for the tip!!

Its my understanding that the tilting egg carton method won't work well in a still air incubator. This is due to the stratification of the heated air. Too warm at the top and too cool at the bottom. If yours doesn't have a fan I think I'd stick with hand turning.
db

This is another way of 'hand-turning' - semi auto but brilliant. It allows you to roll the eggs quickly and safely and it's easy and cheap to make
big_smile.png

bellsouth1.jpg

ozzie

PS this isn't my idea - I got it off another poultry forum that I'm a member of

Last edited:
i was told not to use the carton method if you are using a still air bator. be careful if you are. that is one thing they said when i had a bad hatch.
this is what it looked like with the cartons. good luck
16501_eggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom