Ameracauna, Auracauna, and EE Question....true or false?

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone, even though there are many threads out there(that i have read) talking about Ameracaunas, Auracaunas and Easter Egger chickens, i really want to ask some questions just to be sure on the fact.......i know we all learn when asking questions and getting some answers!
I am also asking this because i have three EEs that i got from ideal, and want a TRUE standard Ameracauna in the future but want to be straight on the facts....

1.Is it true that STANDARD Ameracaunas and Auracaunas should only lay Blue eggs not green eggs(green eggs are discualified in both breeds?)?

2.Is it true EEs can lay all sorts; Greens, browns, blues, and pink, and even whites?

3.If i wanted to breed a STANDARD Ameracauna do i have to breed the same hen color(strain; blue, wheaten) to the same rooster or can they be bred with each other and can still have STANDARD Ameracaunas?

4.LASTLY(LOL) How can it be possible to breed a STANDARD Ameracauna (or develope a EE) to breed only green eggs from the strain, and maybe only pink eggs in the strain( i know this is difficult to know but some of you have been able to do it)

SORRY much for all the questions, i am just dieing to know the answers because i want to be able to buy myself some standard Ameracaunas soon!

Last edited:
1. Yes and no. Blue eggs are desired, however I know of a breeder that is having issues with brown eggs being laid by her Aracaunas. (Rumpless, tufted birds).

2. Yep...EEs can lay all sorts of colors.

3. No idea, I don't know the standard colors well enough...however a blue can be bred to a black in order to give blues and blacks.

4. I'm sure you'd be able to as long as you only breed from birds that lay that specific color egg, and that hatch from that specific color egg (males). Then cull your breeders that lay the other colors that you do not desire.

well thanks for the reply i wonder where everyone else is...LOL
well is your friends Ameracauna a Aracauna? They are rumpless and tufted...you sure they might be EEs?

We have one EE who lays a light brown egg and we have another who lays an almost yellow/tan egg.

If they are true Ameracauna, they should lay blue. From their website:

What are the major differences between Ameraucana and Araucana chickens?

Both breeds lay eggs with shells colored various shades of blue, have pea combs, and should have red earlobes. Beyond that few similarities exist in specimens meeting the requirements of recognized poultry standards. Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.

According to the American Poultry Association (APA), the Araucana breed must be rumpless (no tail) and have ear tufts. Ear tufts are clumps of feathers growing from small tabs of skin usually found at or near the region of the ear openings. This feature is unique in the U.S. to the Araucana breed. This trait is nearly always lethal to unhatched chicks when inherited from both parents. Tufted Araucanas, therefore, are always genetically impure, i.e., they don't breed true and will always produce a percentage of "clean-faced" offspring.

The Ameraucana breed, on the other hand, has a tail and sports muffs and beard in the facial area. These characteristics are true-breeding. Other requirements of both breeds may be found in the APA's Standard of Perfection and in the American Bantam Association's (ABA) Bantam Standard."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've seen lots of Ameracauna's mixed but most like to keep their strains pure only adding in another strain and breeding it out to add genetic diversity.

They always have muffs and beards and no tufts. (Tufted birds end up with dead chicks in eggs) [Arucaunas] I'm told if an Arucauna is pure, they will also have blue eggs.

Last edited:
A Ameraucana and Araucana have breed standards, and no where in the standard when showing does the egg color come into play. A bird cannot be disqualified on the basis of an egg, it is physical attributes of the bird itself. Most Ameraucanas lay a blueish-green egg. No egg is robins egg blue, and everones perception of "blue" is different.

EE's do lay all kinds of colors. There are NO pink eggs, what you perceive as "pink" is actually a shade of brown, just lighter. It goes on the same principle as the blue, everyone perception of "pink" differs as well.

You need to read the standard of perfect to get the basics down as far as breed standard, and then, you need to throw in the color standard for the color you are raising. I am not familiar on the wheaten and blue wheaten varieties, I believe you can breed wheaten to blue wheaten and thats okay, but for example, you cannot breed a buff Ameraucana and a black Ameraucana and get a standard color. You would have a standard BREED, but the offspring would not be a standard color. I raise black ameraucanas and I breed black to black and so I have a standard bred bird for breed and color.

I don't go to shows, but i heard a story where a fella was showing an Ameraucana hen and she layed a green egg in here cage and was disqualified for it, that was sometime ago and i don't remember where it was anymore but remember the story somewhat..

Last edited:
Thanks for the help there, that what i was thinking i guess its like purebred dogs breed them with the same breed of dog.................this is one of the EE's from Ideal that i have its my favorite and its the sweetest. It looks like a Standard blue wheaten from the site.....do you think it might fit to be a future standard? or its offsprings if bred with a true standard blue wheaten rooster be standard? I am hoping she lays green or blue eggs..so lets hope!!
big_smile.png

Photo274.jpg

Photo272-1.jpg

Aw, she looks very sweet! Not a thing wrong with Easter Eggers for eggs and pets. I have a beautiful one myself, though she's probably a cross of two true Ameraucanas, one probably a blue wheaten.(she did come from a breeder, but wasn't the color written on the egg) Her legs are slate and her eyes are reddish-bay, proper coloring for Ameraucanas. Has a nice beard, too. Lays a pretty light greenish-blue egg. My Ameraucanas do lay blue eggs, and one of my girls lays one that I really would call close to robin's blue.

Back
Top Bottom