great homemade fly catcher - pics

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I live in a hot, dry area that has almost a constant breeze blowing. Flies usually aren't a big problem here, even in the backyard where my chicken coop is and where the dogs do their daily doooody.
All that changes whenever we get a bad rainstorm that keeps everything wet and soggy for several days. Like clockwork 1-2 weeks after it stops raining there is an invasion of flies.
We have been battling them for the past week. Killing dozens of them each day that manage to sneak into the house. I finally had enough and made a couple "fly bottles", baited them with a chunk of squid I had leftover from a fishing trip, add a couple inches of water and put them out by the back porch, chicken coop and a couple other places in the yard. 3 days later this is what all the bottles look like:
newsyear011.jpg

newsyear026.jpg

Took the pictures of them, then emptied them out and I already have another inch of flies in there. The only downfall of these fly bottles is if you keep them around to long and you used a really good (ie really stink) bait, the really start to smell after a week or so. But it does the job of catchicng and killing thousands upon thousands of flies.

Cory

wow thats a great idea. i have a really bad problem with flies and they are everywhere in the summer. i might have to try that.

I always save mayonaise and peanut butter jars just for this reason. If they fill up really quick, like this time, I just empty it and reuse. If they have been sitting for a couple weeks (or months) they get really nasty looking and smelling and I just toss it.

DW always tease me that while I did kill 10 thousand flies, 8 thousand of them came over from the neighbors yard. Don't care where they came from I'm just glad they are dead.

Cory

I feel stupid asking this since everyone but me seems to get it, but how are the flies dying? I mean, I could understand if they were drowning, but there is no way those on top drowned. I don't understand why they don't just get back out the way they got in???
hu.gif

Quote:
LOL..i kept saying the same thing!...
gig.gif
....i dont feel so bad now...heehe

Quote:
Me too, do tell. And how is it they do not climb back out. what about laying eggs in there also??.

Back
Top Bottom