Advice on tagging chickens...

freddy22

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
Illinois
I currently run a small profit operation of selling my eggs like many of you do I'm sure. As well as selling the eggs, I also hatch them out to sell baby chicks, rent out my incubator, and occasionally butcher extra roo's to sell for meat.
I would like to tag/label my chickens for breeding purposes, and keeping track of the egg production from each bird. This would allow me to breed my better layers to my better roosters making a more efficient operation-if you catch my drift.
I have mature chickens of a little over two years, which if given an idea will not be a problem....but i have adolescent chickens at about 4 months where they are good size but are obviously going to get bigger...in particular-their legs....so any suggestions would be helpful
-THANKS

welcome-byc.gif

I see you have been lurking for awhile. BYC web site is the best source of information.

I bought my leg bands from
http://shilala.homestead.com/tags.html
"The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
1602 Salem Road
DuBois, PA 15801
(814)-583-5374
Email: [email protected]

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
Band Size # Physical Size Fits
2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks

i have looked into this before, but i was hoping there was some way i could make it a homemade deal - cheap and easy

The plastic spirals for note books (looks like a plastic spring) you just clip to make a ring that over laps a bit and cheaper. Or you can Poultry leg bands from a company like, Randall Burkey Company, They are in different colors and easy to change as they grow. They have plenty of other options for banding also.
http://www.randallburkey.com/searchprods.asp
The link should have taken you to the exact page but doesn't , so when you get to the page just type in Poultry leg bands.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what i use, cheap, easy to get, easy to appy and remove. Easy peezsy japaneezy.

I have a suggestion what about nail varnishing their nails each a different colour which is coded. I think I will have to try this method as we have neighbours who have chikens that look similar. waterdinechicks

Back
Top Bottom