Advice on tagging chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by freddy22, Jan 27, 2009.

1. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    I currently run a small profit operation of selling my eggs like many of you do I'm sure. As well as selling the eggs, I also hatch them out to sell baby chicks, rent out my incubator, and occasionally butcher extra roo's to sell for meat.
    I would like to tag/label my chickens for breeding purposes, and keeping track of the egg production from each bird. This would allow me to breed my better layers to my better roosters making a more efficient operation-if you catch my drift.
    I have mature chickens of a little over two years, which if given an idea will not be a problem....but i have adolescent chickens at about 4 months where they are good size but are obviously going to get particular-their any suggestions would be helpful
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    My Coop
    I see you have been lurking for awhile. BYC web site is the best source of information.

I bought my leg bands from
    "The Easy Chicken Poultry and Supply"

Kelly Chewning
    1602 Salem Road
    DuBois, PA 15801
    Email: [email protected]

Guideline Chart for Bird Leg Band Sizes
    Band Size # Physical Size Fits
    2 1/8" Canaries, day old Quail
    3 5/32" Parakeet, 1-4 week old Quail, Doves, Cockatiels, Guinea keets
    4 1/4" Baby Chicken, Coturnix Quail, small Pigeon, adult Bobwhite Quail
    5 5/16" Pheasant hen, Tumblers, medium Pigeon, Homers, Wood Duck
    6 3/8" Pheasant cocks, month old Chickens, large Pigeons, Chukar Partridge
    7 7/16" Ringneck Pheasants, Mallards, Wild Ducks, Bantams, Feather Leg and Runt Pigeons
    9 9/16" Wild Ducks, Pheasants, Leghorn hens, Ancona, Silkie, Gamebirds
    10 5/8" Wild Turkey, Minorcas, Cross breeds, adult Guineas
    11 11/16" Rock hens, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Red hens, Leghorn cocks, medium Ducks: Runners, Swedish, Harlequin
    12 3/4" Wild Geese, Rocks, Turkey hens, Geese, Jersey Giants, Orpingtons, larger Ducks: Pekins, Rouens, Muscovy
    14 7/8" Canada Geese, Turkeys, Honkers, Jersey Giant Cocks
  3. freddy22

Mar 2, 2008
    i have looked into this before, but i was hoping there was some way i could make it a homemade deal - cheap and easy
  4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Different colored zip ties maybe?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
  6. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Toe punching...interesting.
    How would you do that so the mark would last but not get infected?
  7. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    The plastic spirals for note books (looks like a plastic spring) you just clip to make a ring that over laps a bit and cheaper. Or you can Poultry leg bands from a company like, Randall Burkey Company, They are in different colors and easy to change as they grow. They have plenty of other options for banding also.
    The link should have taken you to the exact page but doesn't , so when you get to the page just type in Poultry leg bands.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This is what i use, cheap, easy to get, easy to appy and remove. Easy peezsy japaneezy.
  9. freddy22

Mar 2, 2008
    The zip ties idea is the idea i am running with now...thanks - any other good ideas would be appreciated
  10. waterdinechicks

waterdinechicks New Egg

May 25, 2013
    I have a suggestion what about nail varnishing their nails each a different colour which is coded. I think I will have to try this method as we have neighbours who have chikens that look similar. waterdinechicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by