Just wondering. What is a sex link?

TATERsmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
South Louisiana
What does sex link mean when ordering chicks?
idunno.gif

It means that the chicks have a sex-linked gene.

It lets the sexers tell the males from the females on the day of birth. The females will be a different color than the males.

Red sex-links/gold sex-links: The males will have white down, the females will have red.

Black sex-links: The males will have white dots on their heads while the females will be completely black.

So...I've been wanting to ask this - would it work if I bred a Black Ameraucana to a RIR hen?

If you want an egg a day get a sex link
wink.png
They are AWESOME egg layers! Mine has been laying for months now and I think she took three days off that entire time so far! And they are nice big eggs too! OH and she is one of my friendliest chickens too
big_smile.png

Sex-Links are chickens that can be differentiated at birth by their down color. Sex-Links are only single generation meaning that you can not breed a sex-link to a sex-link and get a sex-link. They will generally breed back to something resembling the hen parent stock. Auto-sexing are cross breeds that will breed true generation after generation but are not necessarily distinguishable at birth as to which sex they are.

Quote:
Is the roo a true Ameraucana? If so, you could cross him to Barred Rock hens and get sexlinked Easter Eggers as offspring. The male chicks would all be barred. The female chicks would all be black.

The sexlink trait will only be in the first cross though. If you later cross any of the chicks, or breed back to the parent birds, then you won't get sexlinks. But then, this is true of all sexlink crosses.

The offspring would all be EEs and most females will lay a greenish egg - maybe sort of olive colored if the original Barred Rock hens lay darker brown eggs.

To get a sexlink cross using an RIR, you need a RIR Roo and then cross to hens in specific other breeds.

Quote:
Is the roo a true Ameraucana? If so, you could cross him to Barred Rock hens and get sexlinked Easter Eggers as offspring. The male chicks would all be barred. The female chicks would all be black.

Just a question...but where is the barring gene coming from in that cross?

Back
Top Bottom