Just wondering. What is a sex link?

I think it would be useful here to distinguish between a sex-linked TRAIT (which is discussed in previous posts), versus a mating that will produce chicks sexable on the basis of that trait (which is discussed in previous posts), versus what people generally say "my hens are sexlinks" or "for high production of brown eggs, get some sexlinks for your flock" (which has not been mentioned).

When people say "sexlink" AS A NOUN, as an identifier for a kind of bird, they don't just mean that the chicks were sexable at hatching based on traits they bear.

They mean chickens that, in addition to being sexable this way, were ALSO produced from particular lines or a 'nick' that is designed to give you a high-production laying hen.

That is the "real" point of a sexlink, when you are saying 'black sexlink' or 'red sexlink' or 'gotta go buy me some sexlinks so I can sell more eggs'.

Pat

I think it would be useful here to distinguish between a sex-linked TRAIT (which is discussed in previous posts), versus a mating that will produce chicks sexable on the basis of that trait (which is discussed in previous posts), versus what people generally say "my hens are sexlinks" or "for high production of brown eggs, get some sexlinks for your flock" (which has not been mentioned).

When people say "sexlink" AS A NOUN, as an identifier for a kind of bird, they don't just mean that the chicks were sexable at hatching based on traits they bear.

They mean chickens that, in addition to being sexable this way, were ALSO produced from particular lines or a 'nick' that is designed to give you a high-production laying hen.

That is the "real" point of a sexlink, when you are saying 'black sexlink' or 'red sexlink' or 'gotta go buy me some sexlinks so I can sell more eggs'.

Pat

I'm at the very beginning stages of having backyard chickens so I'm trolling old threads for information. I enjoy watching my hens and they certainly provide great entertainment, my primary reason for having chickens is the eggs. I have a sex linked question but want to give you a little back ground history first.

I tried to get good layers as starters and was given RIR, I'm assuming PR from my reading, as the go to chicken for a beginner. I also had a Blue Wyandotte but she was so broody. We did everything but she just wouldn't come out of it so I placed her with a friend's flock. She's happily hatched out many an egg now, born to be a momma. Since I will never have a roo, she didn't fit in our family plans. I have absolutely no interest in raising chicks and will never have a rooster. I exchanged the Dotte for another RIR. The 2 I currently have refused to have anything to do with her. They ran her off, pecked her if she got too close, and generally alienated her from them. After a few weeks of this, I felt so bad for her, thinking chickens are social creatures and she was lonely, that I took her back to my girlfriend. So now, all I have are the 2 RIR and I'm looking to add 2 (I learned my lesson) hens so I get enough eggs for the extended family. I will only ever have about 4 hens, and as I said, I will never have a rooster. This is all about having a steady supply of eggs....and the added bonus of enjoying the chickens.

Now to my questions. If I'm reading what you said correctly, the purpose of sex linked is to get a hardy, steady laying hen. I will never be breeding chickens, just keeping the ones I have until they no longer produce and then replacing them with new layers. It sounds like I should get sex linked hens? If that is so, and they are produced by specific cross breeding of specific breeds, can you recommend some crosses that would be best and what they would be called? Finally, how does one go about finding these types of sex linked hens?

Thanks so much for all the advise. It's really been educational and fun.

Lisa

I'm at the very beginning stages of having backyard chickens so I'm trolling old threads for information. I enjoy watching my hens and they certainly provide great entertainment, my primary reason for having chickens is the eggs. I have a sex linked question but want to give you a little back ground history first.

I tried to get good layers as starters and was given RIR, I'm assuming PR from my reading, as the go to chicken for a beginner. I also had a Blue Wyandotte but she was so broody. We did everything but she just wouldn't come out of it so I placed her with a friend's flock. She's happily hatched out many an egg now, born to be a momma. Since I will never have a roo, she didn't fit in our family plans. I have absolutely no interest in raising chicks and will never have a rooster. I exchanged the Dotte for another RIR. The 2 I currently have refused to have anything to do with her. They ran her off, pecked her if she got too close, and generally alienated her from them. After a few weeks of this, I felt so bad for her, thinking chickens are social creatures and she was lonely, that I took her back to my girlfriend. So now, all I have are the 2 RIR and I'm looking to add 2 (I learned my lesson) hens so I get enough eggs for the extended family. I will only ever have about 4 hens, and as I said, I will never have a rooster. This is all about having a steady supply of eggs....and the added bonus of enjoying the chickens.

Now to my questions. If I'm reading what you said correctly, the purpose of sex linked is to get a hardy, steady laying hen. I will never be breeding chickens, just keeping the ones I have until they no longer produce and then replacing them with new layers. It sounds like I should get sex linked hens? If that is so, and they are produced by specific cross breeding of specific breeds, can you recommend some crosses that would be best and what they would be called? Finally, how does one go about finding these types of sex linked hens?

Thanks so much for all the advise. It's really been educational and fun.

Lisa
welcome-byc.gif

For steady layers, your best bet would be either red or black sex links from any of the major hatcheries (Murray McMurray, Cackle, Ideal, etc). Most chicks at feed stores are sourced from hatcheries and their birds have been bred intensively for a high rate of lay. They're not necessarily Breed A x Breed B, they have parent strains they can use that have been bred for that high rate of lay.

Black sex link pullets will be basically black, the important thing is the head of the bird is solid black. if it has a white spot, it's a male, or not a female black sex link.

Red sex link pullets are a gold yellow at hatch. red sex link males are a white/silver color. If you're picking chicks out of a bin, don't pick the unusual bird, it's usually a male!

I have 5 RIR hens and 5 SLW hens. What would happen if I got a RIR too? And would the offspring be good foragers like the wyndottes? Best regards, JA

Back
Top Bottom