My Red Orp Project

Jayare's Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 25, 2007
Florence, Alabama
Hello,
This is a few pics of my Red Orp project. I hatched these out last year and are from Buff Orp hens and a RIR roo. These are the first generation and I want to hatch out a few more of these when I get my next broody hen to add to them. I will be building a new pen for them soon so I can breed these together for another generation and see how their offspring turn out. I hatched out 1 other hen but she isn't red like these and just looks like a Buff Orp.
Heres the pics.

chickens074.jpg

(1 Red Orp Hen)

chickens075.jpg

(Red Orp Roo on left) - The one on the Right is the other girl that came out buff colored

chickens080.jpg

(Red Orp Roo on right & Red Orp Hen on left)

HPIM0379.jpg

(2 Red Orp Hens)

Jayare

They are a very nice shade of red. Glad someone is working on some colors.

I would be very careful calling them orps yet as they need to be close to the standard and type of Orpingtons. The redder hens still look like RIR crosses and not so much like a orp like the one you said hatched out buff.

It will be very interesting to see the girls crossed back to a orp roo.

I have some 1st gen girls in with my Red roo and am just starting with hatching the 2nd generation now. My stock is limited to the orps without crossing out to another breed so the 1st generation girls look like dark brassy buffs.

Those are great looking birds!
love.gif
I love seeing these projects going on as well and can't wait to hear more progress on yours.

Projects are great if people actually read the post and understand that is exactly what it is. I have the same problems with people on my projects. If they would just read, it is clear you're not claiming they are pure yet but working towards the breed.

The birds pictured appear to have white skin..thats a great start in leg color..
thumbsup.gif

Just got to watch out, some of the offspring will more then likely wind up with dark tails on the males. Just select for the clearest birds from the breedings

Charlie

I love the ginger color. Projects are such fun. always surprising too.
I will look forward to seeing your progress.

I hope my post wasn't misinterpreted. Just asking out of curiosity. Wondered if the yellow would come back to haunt or not? I thought maybe the last pic the hens had yellow legs. I think projects can be great
smile.png

Last edited:
I love watching people's projects progress. I would love to have a red orp, with the lovely color of the RIR but the orpington temperment. My nasty RIR hen drew blood today, and at the moment she is NOT my favorite chicken.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom