Boiled eggs-hard to peel shell

roosterjack

Chirping
16 Years
Jan 27, 2007
Has anyone ever had a problem getting the shell and membrane off boiled fresh eggs? The whites stick to the membrane and shell and I lose a good share of it. Thanks for any info.

For the quick, dirty, 90% effective method, crack'em. Tap the shell until it's fractured but not drooling (more fractures the better but to tip the hat to Martha Stuart `tap don't frappe'). Heat them at low temp for five or so minutes (cooks the outer layer so the rest won't go squirting out when temp is cranked to boiling) and then boil for ten minutes or so.

This will give a clean, easy, recovery almost all the time (with eggs just out of the coop).

My mom swears by this method, it seems to work. She puts the eggs on the stove in lukewarm water from the faucet. Brings the eggs to a boil and then when it boils, puts a lid on and shuts the heat off. Leaves them sit for 10 mins. Then drains them and peels. Works everytime according to her. I have used this method and more times than not they peel real easy. I still get the occaisional problem bu t it does seem to make a difference.

Hi, I read that if you fracture the shell all the way around and then soak them in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 min they get a little water in between the egg and the shell and the shell will come off very easily. Also you can soak them and then peel the shell off under cold running water for any that are giving you a real hard time, yes- pun
tongue.png

I appreciate all of your responses and will try them all. I did find that the longer I let them sit in cold water that it seemed to help, but not totally cure the problem. I'm just glad to hear that it is a 'fresh egg' thing. Although, then it does say something about store bought eggs, doesn't it??

Back
Top Bottom