Is too much dairy bad for laying hen?

princess araucana

Songster
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhode Island
I have a very crossed beak hen who has the most success eating yogurt and sour cream. I usually mix a dollop in with moistened layer crumble.
Question is, is too much dairy bad for her?
She goes nuts for sour cream so I would like to give her more to fatten her up. SHe wants to eat it, but I don't want to over do it.
thanks!

i don't know but i am sure you are going to be asked for more details:
how old, will or can it eat feed?

you may want to give some cat food to help fatten her up too, if she will or can eat it ( but lets see if anyone can back me up on this)
i doubt it will hurt if it just a dollop or 2. sour cream sounds like a expensive food source. you could also try boiled eggs or meal worms.

I wonder if that sour cream might be too fat for her? Have you tried making homemade or store bought cottage cheese or kefir? The grains in the homemade kefir are very high protein and can help with the weight gain....Has she recently been loosing weight or is she just always been thin and you're concerned about her...

I think that scrambled eggs would be good for her if you could keep them in large chunks if you have enough eggs to spare.

I just read a post on here about the death of a chicken do to the fact that it was feed to many high fat foods. I would be careful. We have a girl with a very crossed beak also and we feed them lots of whole grain oatmeal to make sure that she gets enough nutrition. It's very good for people and chickens
smile.png
We add flaxseed, quinoa, chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raisins, soy milk, brown rice and dried fruit. Our girl gobbles it down just fine. She actually had never had any trouble eating, we monitor her just to be safe. She is a bully believe it or not. I try and seperate her when we give them worms because she takes longer to pick them up. The other day another one jumped up and tried to steal her worm and she kicked her butt! She is definitely a fighter, I am sure that is how she survived
smile.png

Thanks for the warning on high fat food!
We went away for a couple days, had a friend stay at our house and watch the animals; I showed her how to make the wet chicken food, but I think my cross beak had a little extra trouble and lost a tiny bit of weight, she doesnt have too much to lose!

I have made yogurt before, but I did not think to make it myself for her, great idea! that will save money and be a fun project. and I do have some extra eggs sometime, I should give her a scrambled one!

Mine is one tough chicken too! She is about a year old. Yesterday the big rooster was eating some of her food and she pecked him out of there! She is scrawny but tough! Definite fighter/ survivor!

Back
Top Bottom