Amazing first time broody

shabbyfarm

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
South central Iowa
We have a young coachin that went broody, her first time and ours, so at least we had no idea what to do. Today was 21 days from when we gave her six eggs to sit on. On day 18 we were out of town for most of the day and it was down around freezing. Went out to check on her as soon as we arrived home. She was sitting on the wrong nest and her 6 eggs were cold
th.gif
. Put her back on her 6 eggs and figured it was all over. But today my DW called me at work and said the coachin had 5 little chicks under her
wee.gif
!!!! How could this happen when temperature is so critical when using an incubator??
hu.gif
DW and i are excited, and I think the coachin also, to have 5 little chicks !!

thumbsup.gif

I love my broodies! I find it amazing that the hen gets such great results when I hear how tricky incubating can be. I love using a broody - I don't have to worry about temp spikes, humidity levels, power outages or anything else. (Although I've had my share of quitters, nest hopping, bumped eggs, etc)

Congratulations!

OMGOSH!! I have a first time broody white/frizzle cochin too!!!!!! She is on day 11?! So yeah that is way cool! i gave her 9 eggs 2 of hers and 7 leghorn pulet/ buff cochin roo eggs. She ate one of hers and the other one of hers i think is a dud and the 7 leghorn eggs all have babys!!!

She is much smaller then she looks!:
20382_jan-mae_09_106.jpg

Chicken Girl

I did seperate her and chicks from the flock, more because of the poor set up i have for a coop than anything else. My coop would not allow the chicks to get in and out of the nest, or out of the coop and back in, as chickens have to jump up a foot to get in coop and about 6 inches to get in to the nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom