Amazing first time broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shabbyfarm, Mar 10, 2009.

1. shabbyfarm

shabbyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    We have a young coachin that went broody, her first time and ours, so at least we had no idea what to do. Today was 21 days from when we gave her six eggs to sit on. On day 18 we were out of town for most of the day and it was down around freezing. Went out to check on her as soon as we arrived home. She was sitting on the wrong nest and her 6 eggs were cold [​IMG] . Put her back on her 6 eggs and figured it was all over. But today my DW called me at work and said the coachin had 5 little chicks under her [​IMG] !!!! How could this happen when temperature is so critical when using an incubator?? [​IMG] DW and i are excited, and I think the coachin also, to have 5 little chicks !!

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

I love my broodies! I find it amazing that the hen gets such great results when I hear how tricky incubating can be. I love using a broody - I don't have to worry about temp spikes, humidity levels, power outages or anything else. (Although I've had my share of quitters, nest hopping, bumped eggs, etc)

Congratulations!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Congrats!! Mother Nature is nowhere near as picky as we are, that is I why I really don't sweat much.

4. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Wow ~ amazing!!!

Will you post a photo?

5. shabbyfarm

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    Here is a pic of the proud mom and her 5 chicks !!

[​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    OMGOSH!! I have a first time broody white/frizzle cochin too!!!!!! She is on day 11?! So yeah that is way cool! i gave her 9 eggs 2 of hers and 7 leghorn pulet/ buff cochin roo eggs. She ate one of hers and the other one of hers i think is a dud and the 7 leghorn eggs all have babys!!!

She is much smaller then she looks!:
    [​IMG]

Chicken Girl

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:very beautiful picture! i would sned it in for picture of the month if i were you!

what a nice mommy [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Very cute! Did you separate momma and her brood from the other chickens?

9. shabbyfarm

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    I did seperate her and chicks from the flock, more because of the poor set up i have for a coop than anything else. My coop would not allow the chicks to get in and out of the nest, or out of the coop and back in, as chickens have to jump up a foot to get in coop and about 6 inches to get in to the nest boxes.

10. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Woo Hoo... Congrats to your little peepers.. That's really great to hear..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by