Anyone use a "Little Giant"???

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
I just got a new "Little Giant Still-Air 9200" incubator that holds 42 eggs and has an auto egg turner...

Has anyone used these?
Did you lije it, or have any problems with them??

Any Input is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
big_smile.png

i dont have an auto turner

but the only prob i had was getting enough humidity. im in az, and the humidity in my house is at 16% i had to add extra water bowls and 4 sponges

p.s. my first hatch was a 4/5 for ducks (3 dont count they werent fertile) and 1/1 for my 1 chicken egg! pretty darn good ill say

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one I use for hatching. It's ok, it was given to me. I don't like the knob for the temp. It seems to be missing the dial and so it can be really hard to regulate the tempurature. I use a hovabator 1588 forced air for incubating.

Quote:
scbatz33 is right about the knob. the knob is EXTREMEMLY touchie! You only give it a hair turn to raise or lower temp. Practice that first. It can be difficult.

I have like 5 little giants and I love them. Here are the hints tricks of the trade I have figured out with them. I mainly use them for hatchers but have done the whole thing in them.

1) buy a thermometer/hygrometer from Walmart ($6 bucks) because the thermometer that comes with it stinkos.
2) run around the aisle in Walmart and get a dimmer switch knob (99 cents) and apply it to the knob on your little giant. This saves tons of headaches trying to adjust the temp.
3) when adjusting the temp, adjust and wait 2-3 hours before adjusting again. This will drive you nuts if you do it any sooner. (exception if it gets over 102.5 open the bator up and let it cool a bit.
4) Put down a piece of shelf liner or cheesecloth. The shelf liner I am talking about is the woven shelf liner that has holes in it. This helps for footing for the little guys and keeps humidity dispersed to the whole incubator. The cheesecloth sucks it up a little
5) if using a turner, make sure you rotate the eggs from the middle section to the outside section and vice-a-versa, especially if you use still air. The middle section does not get as much heat it seems
6) Keep the humidity around 40-45% for the first 18 days. I do not up the humidity until I see a pip, then I up it with an extra bowl of water. Get a bowl that almost touches the top of the bator so the chicks wont drown in it by accident.
7) when you clean your bator, I use bleach water to bleach out the icky coloring but you HAVE to rinse it really really well. Let it air dry before using again.

I have one. This is my first hatch. So far it is holding the temps fine. We live in Florida and have alot of humidity so that hasn't been a problem yet. When we candled ours of 41 eggs thirtysix were viable. Heres hoping for a good hatch. They are due on April 6. When we first got it I tried to set the temperature and kept turning that little knob I just couldn't get it to stablize. So in a fit I turned everything off,let it cool down and started again. The temp as been 100-101.5 so i don't touch it. In the evening I notice it gets alittle cooler so I put a blanket over most of the top making sure to leave the air hole open that has kept it from getting too low,and I don't have to readjust the tmep control. Hope this helps

I have 3 of those. I use 2 for incubating and one for a hatcher. I have never had a problem. On my own eggs i have 100 % hatches on chicks and about 70% on ducks and 75 % on pheasants. Shipped eggs is a whole nother story. I love my auto turner. I use a eye dropper to add water through one of the holes on top so i don't have to open the bator. The only trouble i have had is keeping the grandaughter away, she likes to add water and open it to see if she can hear any thing.

take it back an get one that you will not have to baby sit. I have eggs in mine for the first time an I am ready to pull my hair out (what I have ) If I would have done my homework before I bought an lg I would not have gotten it. Some people keep their homes a constat temp to keep the bator right. Well my home will go down in the night an up during the day. So you know what else goes up and down. LG. My humidity seems to be all right. I read fudgi
how to work a lg an he his right on. If you do everything the way it is written you will be ok. Sorry for saying to take it back but I have been ready to stomp the life out of mine. I have time to be around it an all but other makes you don't have too....I think you are suppose to take the egg turner out at day 18 also have not gotten that far along

Back
Top Bottom