Mixed flock

Malibufarmer

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
So i have 11 barred rocks and i was wondering if it would be ok to add about 5 mixed breed hens. People have told me that chickens are agressive torwards other breeds.

For starters, you'll need to quarantine the new hens. They need to be as far from your current flock as possible during quarantine. After that it's best to introduce them thru a barrier of some sort, where they can see but not get to each other. Some people say it's best that when you finally put them truly together that you do so at night. Your chickens will wake up and have new flock members.
There may be some fighting at first as the newbies find their place in the pecking order. So long as no one's drawing blood, they'll work it out.
Many many people have mixed flocks, some raised together from the start; others add another breed later on.

Last edited:
I agree with gritsar. The only thing I would add is if you do introduce during the day do it while they are free ranging if you free range and put plenty of treats out so the birds will concentrate on the treats.

Back
Top Bottom