HELP HELP HELP.... I think I killed them all....

AnniesEggFarm

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... So the last few days I have had ants in my incubator.... Yes, ants.... Tons and tons of ants, no idea were they came from, I live in Vermont and there is still snow on the ground!!! This morning I looked in and there were so many ants that I decided I needed to clean out incubator since I was nearing day 18 and wanted everything to be perfect...... Sooooo, I put them in a bath towel and let the blow dryer blow over them, on low.... Well in the 5 minutes it took me to clean incubator out, eggs got so hot I couldn't even touch them.....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
..... It took them about 10 minutes to cool off...
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I candled them and see no movement
hit.gif

This is my first attempt and have made more mistakes than known to man, I am ready to give up, I don't want to wait a few more days for them to start stinking.... What is your honest opinion??? Can I chuck them all.... I am so so so sad!
hit.gif

Jenn

I am pretty new to incubating myself so I can't give much advice but I am really really sorry! I know how you feel to ruin (or maybe ruin) a batch of eggs......it is heartbreaking but just learn from mistakes and the next batch will be better for it.....
hugs.gif

Hens get off the eggs and they cool a bit. Just layering them in a towel would have been good enough.

Put them back in and candle them this evening and look for movement.

Sometimes they can handle a heat spike.

Hello.. 1st incubation attempt is tough! Stop beating yourself up. If they were that hot to the touch and you see no movement, I would chuck them and start over. Next time.. the towel would be fine by itself to keep them warm a few minutes. No more hairdryer. Sorry, I have had failed incubation attempts, I feel for you!
hugs.gif

I thought it would take me longer to get it done.... It is so cold in my house this morning.... I really don't have any excuses, I thought about just using just a towel.... It was just a very dumb idea that went bad, like must dumb ideas do!

jenn

at day 18, you may not see any movement, as they are packed in pretty tight.

don't give up yet, you never know. at worst, you lose them, but at best they may hatch.
smile.png

Today is day 16... I candled last night and saw movement.... I can see the black blobs, just no wiggling....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom