Fox deterrants, any ideas?

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hello, we are just starting fox cub breeding season here as it is now spring.
The foxes come into town more frequently now.
Im hoping to keep them away from my coops.
Hows about christmas lights or solar powered path lights.
Do you think they would help?
I dont wish to keep a radio on and Im not allowed to shoot, I wouldnt anyway, they are just trying to feed their little ones!
Any natural substances that i can spread around my fences also would be good.
I know that If I "pee" at the fenceline, it will deter them but it would be risky in that I would get seen by my next door neighbour, !!!!

Male urine is supposed to work great...have a male friend that might want to help ya out there? LOL He can do it at night, ni lights on...wont be seen. Or maybe someone you know has a male dog? They can walk it around the coop...im SURE he would gladly pee on everything in site! LOL

You could always pee in a cup, then take it outside. If anyone asks what you're pouring around, tell them it's fertilizer.
wink.png

Six ft. welded wire fencing is too high for a Red Fox to clear (yesterday watched as one circled our runs several times before giving up - probably the one that mortally wounded our neighbor's Black Spanish tom over the weekend) Have now taken 14 foxes this year. They can dig so buried fencing is a good thing.

The urine method is questionable at best (foxes will eventually associate the odor of urine with chicken and will start salivating instead of slinking off - conditioned behavior).

Don't know what species you are dealing with but, on the whole, nothing likes electricity too well...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I dont know what to try.
I have a xmas reindeer that moves his head around and has little lights all over him, i reckon that would really scare him. ill try it, but my ducks are out at night on the pond so it would probably freak them out too!

First choice, trap. Second choice, electrice fence. Third choice, dog. If you have no other pets around poison works. Only it is no way to kill, to be used as a last resort. You can pee until you are dehydrated and it will not slow a hungry fox down.

Back
Top Bottom