Is it possible to hatch from egg with broken aircell? UPDATE

claud

Songster
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
PA
I got some really nice Welsummer eggs from mothergoose. Unfortunately, the postal service was not kind to them and most had broken aircells. Only a few are developing now(day 11) but a couple of the developing ones are in eggs with broken aircells. Is it possible to hatch these eggs?

Last edited:
I'll let you know tomorrow. I have a couple eggs in the hatcher that have detached aircells, but have developed normally up until now. I haven't candled them since I put them in the hatcher on Monday evening, but they were kicking around at that time.

I have had air cells that got mixed up through shipping. It looked like the air sack was 2 air scaks one on each side of the egg almost but attatched where the air sack should be and they still hatched. I would wait it out and see what happens.
big_smile.png

I have had lots of shipped eggs hatch from air cells that were disturbed. You can tell when the are a no go at the beginning, there will be bubbles throughout the egg when you rotate it. Those will not develop. When in doubt set them and see what happens. Watch closely during the hatch ones with air cells that extend down the side of the egg can often be difficult for the chicks to hatch but you can most often help if necessary.

I have a pip in an egg right now that has a broken air cell. I am hatching them in an egg carton so the air cell stays in the big end. So far so good! I will let you know how the rest of the hatch goes!

I have quite a few developing normally that had detached air cells. One that had a small bubble floating around in the egg *and* a seeping crack at the small end--I figured it was completely scrambled--but it has great development currently (day 14 duck egg). I almost tossed this egg, but though, oh well, what the heck.
I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's eggs like this and whether or not they hatch.

Thanks everyone for the optimism! Let me know how things work out for you and I will keep you posted on mine.

Let me join this flurry. I'm on day 4 with 5 silky duck eggs, all with conjoined air cells.
there seems to be early development, and I don't have floating bubbles, so we'll see!
Thanks for the words of hope!

Back
Top Bottom