12 day old hatchling with crossbeak.

pafarmgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Poconos
Hi. This started at just before one week, not very extreme and I bought Penetran that day and started cell salts (Bioplasma) two days ago. It hasnt improved, but hasnt worsened. She is eatting well and is one of the two largest of 10. She hatched first and almost two days early. I would love instructions on how to apply the Penetran, I have been using a q-tip and putting it on the side the bottom is pulling toward. One tablet of Bioplasma in the water bottle (little less than a quart) does this sound right? She is an Americauna.

I heard crossbeak was untreatable and genetic. I had to cull my sweetie because of it.
hit.gif

If there is a treatment like this I would like to know. I am looking forward to the replys to this post also.

There has been some success with crossbeak if treated immediately, or so Ive read. Penetran is a human medication used for arthritus, you apply it on the jaw the beak is pulling toward. It is a penetrating medication that relaxes muscles. Bioplasma is a cell salt you buy at a health food store and is also advised. Poly-Vi-Sol is a baby vitamin suggested in case its vitamin deficiency, get no iron type.
I'm certainly not ready to cull, as it has gotten no worse, the chick is eatting, drinking and pooping. She is one of the two biggest of 10 and seems to be holding her weight. I was hoping somebody had had success with this and could tell me if I'm applying things right.

My favorite hen was one with crossbeak. She was hand fed a lot in order to make sure that she got enough, so she got pretty spoiled. If she saw me walk to the shed (where I keep feed) she'd fly right up and sit on my arm. After she'd eat, she'd pick at my hair and rest in my lap. She never was an egg layer, but I didn't care. She was a good friend.
I wouldn't cull your bird. I'd nurture her.
smile.png

My Claudette a red sex link will be one year old May 12th and she was born with crossbeak. I have never done anything but trim it, and that was recently. She lives with all my other chickens and is doing great.
16258_dsc05762.jpg

This was her last summer
16258_dsc08077.jpg

This is her a couple weeks ago. She lives a normal life like all the rest, and she is the friendliest little girl I have!

Mine, the bottom is going over. I cant decide whether it may be getting a little worse or not. Shes funny, all the chicks scramble when I reach in their pen, but she just knows its me coming after her. Last year I had 28 from a hatchery and I handled and took pics of them all often, but it seems Im spending 'handling' time taking care of the crossbeak, I think we will name her (or him) Gonzo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom