How do you cook a silkie? Any suggestions?

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
No one has shown interest in my silkie roos.

See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16621

So
.... They will be dinner tommorrow.

Should I bake the two of them like little cornish hens? Soup?

Thanks!!!

Axe_anim.gif

Make it into anything you make regualr chicken into... the traditoinal "healing" herb soup stuff my mom makes includes ginsing so it tastes really bad.... Not to mention the 50 things in there that have no English translation...

I usually take the silkie and marinade in my secret sauce, guess I'll share it with y'all.

2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
2/3 cup soy sauce
6 pack of beer

Combine ingedients in a large bowl, except for the beer.

Place the silkie in the bowl and refridgerate overnight.

While you are waiting, drink the beer.

Last edited:
I'd have to fry it cause I wouldn't be able to look at the black meat. But anything covered with chicken breader and deep fried has to be good!

I would sooo love to serve the "herbal" soup to my MIL. She would leave the house running and screaming...

hmmmm, that gives me an idea...
wink.png

Just like any other chicken, it's just a chicken with a set of genes that make it look different. If you can eat regular chicken then you can eat silkie. Nobody's gong to eat your silkie if it's your pet. And if you don't eat chicken, well then you wouldn't eat silkie either. besides, hens are worth more as egg producers! Think of it as production silkie, like the dark skin version of the cornish x. Few cry over eating their pet cornish x.

Back
Top Bottom