Does it mean anything when they lay down with legs out, not under?

terence

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Hi all,

Does it mean anything when a chicken sits/rests with one leg splayed out to the side rather than tucked neatly under itself?

I've got photos here: Picasa Album If someone would be kind enough to take a look and tell me if this is a problem, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Terence

How old are they? Is it always the same bird?
My chicks all did this a lot in the first week or so.

I wouldn't be concerned unless you see problems with the chick's walking, or you see her favoring it.

Hoping it is nothing...
Good luck!

Hi,

I don't know how old they are, as they were gifted to me when I acquired some ducklings. They're definitely older than what I (as a novice) think of as "chicks" though. (The lady who gifted them to us said she got them from an elementary school, as none of the kids wanted to take them home.)

They have some hair/feather loss in a few spots, but I was told it was probably not a concern, and would likely grow back soon.

They walk about, make noise, spill food, poop a lot, and otherwise seem generally "barnyard healthy".
smile.png

Thanks!

Terence

Mine do this and I consider it stretching or sunbathing....perfectly normal. unless you start to see problems with walking and getting up consider it ok.

they look like broilers
they probably have ascities or fluid building up around their heart
also called "water belly"
they need to be fed only
twice a day
6 am and 2 pm
this allows them to be of feed till 6 am again
from
A-Z Poultry Disease Index
A pneu-movirus infection in turkeys and chickens affecting birds from about 10 ... A bacterial infection associated with respiratory disease in chickens and turkeys. ...

members.tripod.com/poultryworld/dis_dir.htm - 100k - Cached
Chapter 24

ACUTE DEATH SYNDROME (HEART ATTACK)
The term 'flip over' syndrome accurately describes this condition of acute heart failure. The cause is unknown but is often seen along with fatty liver and kidney syndrome in flocks growing well, about three weeks before slaughter. Mortality may be in the region of 0.5 per cent.

this site has several articles n it
you can read

ascities poultry. metabolic disorders in poultry. sodium ascites broiler. ascites poultry ... In broiler chickens, the condition often leads to death. ...

scribd.com/doc/4013236/Ascites-in-Commercial-Broiler-Poultry-and-It... - 101k

try the method of cutting back on feed as I hve suggested.
I know from raising the broilers this is the way they act if too much fed
they just eat and drink and do not move around much

Last edited:
yes those are meaties I believe you are going to have to do some extra stuff to keep them alive or eat them. there have been a few successful people who have managed I will try to find the post, but they have to give asprin every day and manage the feed. The info Glenda gave is good. These types of birds are not bred for pets or egg laying but for meat so you are dealing with a bit of a battle to keep them past a certain age. Good luck what ever you choose
smile.png

Hi,

What does it mean to feed them only at 6:00 AM and 2:00 PM?

That is, how much food do I give them? And how do I ensure they're not eating in-between those times, short of pulling the food dish back out?

Why aspirin? Do broilers normally have heart problems?

I had not intended to eat these, but rather raise them for eggs. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Oh, and is this contagious? Should I keep them far away from my ducklings?!?

Thanks!

they do look like meat birds to me also, they are bred to butcher by 7 or 8 weeks. we did ours at 8, and they just ate, mostly ate while they were laying down.
I have heard that they do not make good pets because they get so heavy and do die early. I think the only way to keep them is not feed them alot from the start. but you still run the risk of them dying early, and its hard if you get attached to them.
and it is not contagious. It is just how they are bred.

Back
Top Bottom