Auburn Javas?

Pics

Chickndaddy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
East Texas
Has anyone ever heard of these before?

I know they are available in Black, White, and Mottled. And at one time were also oavailable in blue, but I've never heard of an Auburn Java.

Here is the link to the website where I saw them:

http://www.behlfarm.com/blogengine.net/page/Auburn-Java-Chickens.aspx

The pictures are pretty small but they are pretty. I just don't know what they are. Out of curiosity's sake I think I may email them and ask for more pictures and information.

Well, since I am the one that posted that info on the Java list I guess I can give more. The information is out of the book called How to raise Chickens by Christine Heinrichs who is the publicity director for the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities.

Ok from the book refering to the Chicago museum of Science and Industry's Gentics flock. "The museum breeds over 8 thousand java chicks each year. Out of those 2 brown ones showed up in 2004, remnants of the Auburn varity that disappeared in 1870. the Auburns were a significant for thier contributuion to the rhode island red."

That is all that is said on them in this book and I have not found another refereance since then. I am getting this was a soild brown bird not a pattern bird.

Does anyone on the list know that breeder you listed? I am no longer on the list as I went with another breed.

Tamara

I like the looks of them, the hens are patterned and the cocks look black tailed red with the slate legs.

Speaking of old poultry books talking about old breeds/colors I have one that mentions several breeds that I have never heard of before, one of them is the white wonder, the book said it looked much like a brahma in type but had a rose comb and was white, it was said to be a good dual purpose bird.

It would be interesting to see more rare colors around.

I hatched out black java chicks in 2009 that carried the auburn gene. There juvenile feathers were black with auburn at the tips of flight feathers. Unfortunetely when there I did not seperate them before they adult feathers came in. They now look the same as the other black chicks. I would have like to seperate them and keep crossing to see if we could get a true auburn.

I picked up a flock of Auburn Javas. Set the first batch of eggs last week. We will see what we get in the next 2 and 3 weeks.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom