Where do the mites live?

backtothesoil

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Hillsboro, Oregon
We have 5 *9* week old chickens, and I am finding numerous adult feathers in and around their coop. They seem happy, and don't have obvious pecking order disputes going on, but I cant figure out why they are losing their adult feathers. Could they have mites? Where on their body would I look to see if they have them? Is it something that would be obvious, or will I need a magnifying glass?
tongue.png
They do seem to be preening themselves an awful lot, or maybe they are just trying to itch where the mites are? Help please!!

Pick them up and look around their vent area. If you see little creatures running for cover, or white, hard, balls around the base of their feathers, those are mites (or their egg nests).
I just had to deal with the same exact thing, but Seven Dust 5 took care of it nicely (applied twice, 10 days apart).
Good luck!

Quote:
Thanks!!! I checked one hen's vent area and under her wings tonight, and didn't see anything creepy crawly. And after reading the feather loss link above, I think it might just be the loss of their first set of feathers, since they are about that age. I appreciate the help everyone!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
They're probably going throught a mini molt. Mine went through several mini molts too. They are loosing their baby feathers and getting in some adult feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom