EGG EATER!!!!

Chicken Girl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Oh NO! I never thought this was going to happen! What do i do!? Pleas HELP!!! I know who the egg eater is. I walked in the coop and she had egg all over her face!!! She is not trying to hard to hide it! LOL Should we eat her!

Chicken Girl

So there is no way to stop it? My mom is not with the chickens all the time like i am and she said we have to eat her now! I was all like well lets post first and see. Well what do ya know, she was right!

Chicken Girl

Help!! I have the same problem but don't know who it is I have been watching what can I do..I am sick over this?
barnie.gif
somad.gif

i also have an egg eater she makes mo so mad i collect my eggs i a little bucket each day and just soon as i sat it down i caught her she ran right over to the bucket and cracked one open while i was standing there i scolded her than grabbed the rest of the eggs naughty girl i was thinking of killing her but hopes it could be fixed but each day since than i find a couple eggs with the top half off and empty very upsetting

This is so not fare! We feed them and free rent. All they have to do is lay eggs! And what do they do? They EAT THEM!!! Mine is a leghorn what breed are yours?

Chicken Girl

Hello,

Our girls (a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Golden Buff) started eating eggs maybe 2-3 months ago; it was an accident that one broke and before we could clean it up the Golden Buff had her face in it. It wasn't a serious problem until about a month ago -- we started losing almost 75% of our eggs (the Golden Buff lays beautiful large/extra-large eggs every single day and the Wyandotte lays about 5-6 medium eggs every week...so 75% is a lot of eggs). Accidentally, one night we left the door to their coop open (we have an enclosed pen with a coop that has a sliding door that we manually put in place every night when they were ready to sleep...it gets cold where we live so the door was to keep wind from freezing the girls during winter). Amazingly the next morning both eggs were untouched! Ever since then we have been leaving the door off of the coop, and we have been able to collect every single egg (except one) that they have laid. We are "new" chicken owners (we got the girls as day-old chicks last June) and can only surmise that the girls were frustrated by being penned into their coop into the "late" morning (between 8-10 am...usually they are freed around 8-9 am) and took out that frustration by eating their eggs.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I haven't found any other cases where the hens were acting out by eating eggs, where something as simple as leaving the door open was enough to stop it.

The point of the story is that you might not have to cull your flock -- maybe that chicken is unhappy about something that could easily be fixed. Personally I am very attached to the girls and would rather have them eat some eggs than cull them...but I realize not everyone feels this way about their girls.

Good luck, and I hope this helped. This is my first post, and I registered because I read this post and felt that I could help by sharing our experiences.
smile.png

I found that if I left my coop open 99% of the time the hens leave them alone. Mine started when an egg accidentally cracked. The hen (a very clever Wyandotte) learned to push eggs out of the nest and drop to the floor to break it. Then her buddy decided to try it and will eat a broken egg in a minute. Now all three of my hens will run to a broken egg. Luckily they don't break them themselves anymore. They stopped doing that when spring came around and I started leaving the coop open all the time.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom