Help. Gasping chick

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I have 3 Serama chicks about 3 weeks old. Someone gave me (stupid me!) 4 Japanese bantams about the same age. I put them in a seperate brooder, but fairly near my Seramas. 2 of the Japs started stretching their necks up a bit and seemed to be gasping for breath, opening their beaks with each breath. After a few days, one died then the next night, the 2nd one died. I gave back the other 2. Now, one of my little Serama chicks has started gasping this evening. ?? I have Poly Vi Sol, and have read on here some suggest it, but I have forgotten how to give it. Do you just drop a drop into their beaks, or mix it into their water, or what? And if so, at what ratio? Any other suggestions?

Judy, sorry for your troubles:

Electrolyte recipe (per dlhunicorn): 7g sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)5g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)3g potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash". Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)40g glucose (a common source is corn syrup)2 litres water.

Pedialyte would do in a pinch.

Three drops of POLYVISOL enfamil formulation (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins) for a week then taper off the next. Drip along inner edge of lower beak (slowly).

Good luck!

I went through something similar, but it was only with one chick and no one else seemed to get any symptoms. Using an eye dropper I put a little olive oil on the beak trying to get it into the mouth. The little chick kept licking at it and then I would massage the throat a little. I thought I would loose the chick for sure, but she made it through. But, like I said, none of the other chicks got any symptoms. So, it might not be the same thing.

Hiya judy... so sorry you are having troubles with your chickies... is it possible that (coincidence perhaps) that they might have ingested some of the bedding? have you tried a wee bit of bread soaked in olive oil?
If you dont have the ingredients on hand for the homemade emergency version then you can also get electrolites in the bird section of the pet store and most feed stores will carry DURVET (a common brand of electrolite) ... the petstore (bird) electrolites are in smaller quantity than the durvet so if you can get that it might be more practical for you.
Electrolytes are needed for dehydration or shock .

Last edited:
Thanks, Ivan. And Diana, yes it is possible they ingested some bedding, I guess. They are on large flake pine chips, and they manage to scratch their feed out of the jar feeders into the chips, then dig around in the chips picking it out, instead of eating out of the feeder sometimes--the little dickenses. But since the gal gave me the little Japanese Bantams, who were also gasping the same way, I figure it is whatever they had. 2 of them died and I gave her back the other 2. The ones that died, by the time they died (few days) also seemed congested up,--when they opened their beaks to gasp, you could see mucus on the edge of their beaks when they opened their beaks. I didn't get my chicks with them, and tried to be sure to wash my hands, etc, before I worked in the other brooders, but....... now I apparently have it, whatever it is, in my 3 little 3 week old Seramas in one brooder.
barnie.gif
he.gif

How much tylan do you give a 3 week old minature chick? (Seramas) And 50 or 200 strength? Shot, or in the water? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom